Monday, November 08, 2010

Maggie Monday: The Lousy Edition

Maggie likes to help*. Have a button missing from your coat? She'll sew it on! Dishes need doing? She's on the job! Need something ironed? She's your girl! But there's a catch. Or a catch phrase...

I remember distinctly being on vacation with her in Maine. I had come from some job or other and had my trench coat in my possession...minus a button.

"Give Ma your coat" (yup, she Bob Doles) "I'll sew the button back on."
"Ma, I'll do it later."
"No. Give me your coat; I'll do it now."
"Ma, no."
"Yes, yes. Give me your coat."
"Fine."
"Can you thread the needle for me?"
After the needle is threaded, she sews like a woman who used to make shoes in the factory, then announces,

"I did it, but I did a lousy job."


*This is less true now than it was before she turned 85.
**It wasn't a lousy job.

3 comments:

Annemarie said...

Sounds familiar :o)
Love your Maggie stories.

Is it NaBloPoMo time, by any chance?

Alice said...

Hee hee! I love Maggie's catchphrases! (And, her penchant for martinis!)

Jenna said...

OMG, she is so funny! Love the picture, BTW. You are branching out by posting actual photos of yourself! I'm shocked...