Thursday, January 05, 2006

SBQ: Let's Talk about S.E.X., Baby

Before I get to this week's SBQ, I have a short moral tale. If you have a weak stomach, skip reading the blog today. Forewarned.

I started the Souvenir Sampler for my parents' 40th wedding anniversary. I was having a hard time thinking of a good souvenir to put on it. I didn't carry a baby blanket like my sister did. I ended up putting in an unintentional "souvenir." I'm sick. I have the worst cough. (Doctor confirmation today, I have bronchitis.) And last night, I coughed so hard I threw up. So gross. I caught most of it, but some landed on the sampler. So disheartening. It washed out. Come to think of it, I was the "one" with the weak stomach when I was young...and still. So this might be appropriate after all. If my sister tells them, and I hope she won't.


Do you do your stash shopping at your LNS, ONS, or both? Which do you like better? Why? I like shopping at bricks and mortars because you can get a better sense of colors and textures. I have purposely not said my "LNS" because I am not completely enamored of it (yet, I hope). My LNS is Strawberry Sampler in Chadds Ford. It's not that local. It's recently moved to a smaller space and when I was there Saturday, feeling incredibly woozy because of this cold, it seemed so claustrophobic. It's about 30% of the size of the former store. It does have air conditioning now.

Some of the bricks and mortars that I have visited that make me long for a nicer store are Silver Needle (Tulsa, OK), Yankee Cross Stitch (Hampton, NH), Elegant Stitch (Modesto, CA), Stitching Post (Baltimore, MD), and Needlepoints, Ltd. (Garden Grove, CA). Many people will be familiar with Elegant Stitch and Silver Needle as the are pretty widely used ONS. To me, though, they're more real than that. And I shop at Silver Needle one long weekend a year.

I try to support my LNS as much as possible, but I do get things online that I can't get in the store. I hate it when they tell you they'll order something for you, and then it takes a hundred years. (Not this LNS, the Los Angeles [now defunct] LNS.) (I know about the limitations some stores have with order sizes, but still, tell me up front.) So I just go online to get an instant fix. Even then, some fixes aren't instant enough.

Yeah, I want it now!

3 comments:

Mia said...

SS moved???? Where are they now? I haven't been there in ages (long story) but I was planning on going soon to see if their personalities have changed a bit. LOL

I hope you feel better soon. I have been sick too but my cough has been on the dry side and mostly in my throat region. Since yesterday I actually feel like a human being. LOL

Have a good weekend!!!

mainely stitching said...

I get bronchitis pretty frequently, so I sure do sympathize. I hope you're feeling better!

Anna van Schurman said...

Thanks, Barbara. I am feeling much better. It's amazing what a little codeine can do!