Monday, November 15, 2004

Stitching Bloggers QOTW: Distractions

Do you find that having another distraction (music, movies, people to talk to) while stitching helps you make progress or make mistakes?
I find I do a pretty good job of making mistakes even when I am paying very close attention. Sometimes I get so engrossed in a movie or conversation that I have a difficult time tearing myself away to actually do the stitching. Sometimes, though, having people around to stitch gets me going. I am pretty sure I never could have finished my cousin's wedding sampler (the one that generated the "Stitch Bitch" nickname) if I hadn't met with regularly with my stitching friends. I think if I had been on my own, I would have found lots of other stuff to stitch. Knowing that others appreciated the efforts of this piece--people who I could bitch to about all the effing color changes and blended needles--made it a little easier to work on.

This weekend, I was supposed to go to a rubberstamping convention with my sister. She's got quite the stamp collection, which works out well for me since I like to make my own cards and scrapbook. It turned out that she had to work both Saturday and Sunday so she could get everything in order for a business trip she was taking. She called me on Friday and left a pathetic little message, "Please, please, please tell me the stamping convention is not this weekend." So then I was back to my internal debate whether I should go to the convention at all since I had tickets to the WTA (Tennis) Championship that started at 1:00. Rubberstamps or S. Williams vs Davenport? My sister was so pathetic, that I went to the convention for her. I got to the tennis one set into the match. Not bad. I'm sure I motored through the stamps faster than I would have if my sister had been along, but I did get to see the cute stuff from Savvy Stamps, Judi-Kins, and Printworks Collection (where we spent all our money last year). I also got some Paula Best stuff for myself--not my sister's kind of thing. I took lots of pictures, and maybe I'll share them with you too, once I have them off the camera.

No comments: