Monday, August 29, 2016

Artful Dodger

The other day, I found myself in need of entertainment, and I wandered into Barnes and Noble to find a magazine and came out with this, Artful Blogging, which has to be one of the strangest magazines ever.

Let me start by saying this isn't really for people like me, hobbyists who blog with whatever they are working on, without expectation of compensation; people who don't spend hours and hours on the "look" and "brand" of their blog.

But should it really exist at all? I mean blogs are a staple of the virtual world. Why would you stick it into something as static as print form?

The photos in the magazine and most of the blogs are beautiful. And most of the people I read about were trained artists, And if they weren't trained photographers they
were people who spent a lot of time learning about and paying attention to their photos. Not like me--since my camera's battery "door" broke and won't stay shut, all my blog photos have come from my phone. You probably noticed but were too polite to say anything.
Photo from Death to Stock.

The bloggers all focused on different things--some were painters, others bakers; some were lifestyle bloggers and others interior decorators. That said, the blogs were all of a piece. I mean you could have dropped this photo of a succulent (especially if it were in a milk glass container) into all of the blogs and it would fit right in. They looked rather samey.Well, maybe if the shot weren't so crisp, but rather moodier and gauzy (Maybe that was an editorial decision to focus on a "look"?) .

The advice from the bloggers was similar--and maybe there's just not that much to say about writing. Words like "voice" and "authenticity" over and over. (How many months can you run the same story?) And it's not like you can't find the same advice...on the internet where blogs live!

This publication has been making it in the world for almost a decade (!) now. I'm pretty sure my buying it this time but never again isn't going to make or break them!


I bring you this foray into the publishing world because I did not work on the Deruta biscornu at all, after all the drama of not being able to find the next project in my rotation. We had a busy weekend for a change. I think the dude is taking one of those "say yes" challenges so when I asked him to go to IKEA to look for a chair to replace the one the dog has chewed, he said yes. (He hates to browse even more than he hates to shop!) When I asked him to help me with yard work, he said yes. (He's a delicate flower from the north who wilts under our harsh Pennsylvania summers.) When I asked him to go to an open house with me, he said yes. (That browsing thing again.) Anyway, I didn't spend the weekend on the couch, so no stitching.

Today's not much better. I snuggled into my massaging spa chair for my monthly pedicure and took out Tis the Season only to realize that I didn't have a needle with me! Welp.

Onward!

9 comments:

Beth said...

Artful Blogging, Women Who Create, Women Who Cook. All those magazines have the same look and voice. And they are expensive!

Irene said...

Ah, io fotografo molto male, vorrei tanto migliorare ma il tempo รจ poco. Tu hai un bellissimo blog :)

Robin in Virginia said...

Interesting magazine and thank you for the review! The description of it reminds me of staged houses for sale and window dressing. There is something too sterile about them. Sorry your needle went AWOL!

Beth W said...

It's like picking up an issue of kinfolk (too cool and hip for me!). Honestly, it cracks me up that anyone can tout setting a look and feel for your blog when they all seem to follow the same look and feel (or one of three established looks and feels). Be the same special snowflake we all are? Hrmmm....

Anyway, I'm with you in the phone-camera thing, and the holding tight to the fact that blogging is a hobby in addition to our occupations. Yay!

It seems like you're always stitching- I'm curious, how much progress on projects total do you think you've made all year? I'm going to guess 800 hours of stitching. 900?

Kristen said...

This magazine has been in print for ten years?! Pretty shocking considering the great magazines (Gourmet, De Fil en Aguille, etc.) that have folded.

CalamityJr said...

I agree with everyone! especially with Robin in VA about staged houses. The first rule is to remove everything "personal" so prospective buyers can picture their own treasures there. Not me! I want to see that there was love in the home and real people enjoyed living there. Sterile - bah!

EvalinaMaria said...

No needle?!? That reminds me of a nightmare where you are surrounded by the most beautiful linens, all beautiful floss you can imagine, fantastic charts and you would love to stitch but there is no needles...

Bea said...

Ah yes, we all need "professionals" to tell us how to do everything. Another bah humbug! Sorry your needle was MIA but sounds like you were busy enough without the stitching.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I love the authenticity of your voice in this missive. Stunning photo of the succulent too. A slight departure from the norm, I fully expect to see the blog renamed "White Couch Stitching" next post.

If you do not follow "It's Like They Know Us" I recommend it!