Friday, July 19, 2013

Christmas in July Continues

Last week, I had Black Snowman as my focus piece. Here's where I started with him. I can't believe I haven't shown him since January! Yikes. Especially since even limited stitching on him has resulted in great strides. I did the idiot stitching per Edgar. (Unlike him, I did not save it for air travel. Oh well.)

This week, I worked on my ornament (sneak peek below*). And I pulled my Three Kings Tall Guys back out. I did the tiniest bit on it today at old lady stitching. I don't have much to report. Summer vacations have our numbers way down. There are fewer stories. Today we were talking about date nut bread in a can. (If you miss it, Vermont Country Store has it under their own label.) And other crazy foods of our youth.

My mom used to make this thing called Texas hash (which has about as much to do with Texas as her Chinese pot pie had to do with China or pot pie). The hash is just rice, tomato sauce, onions, peppers, and browned ground beef. (Maybe a can of mushrooms.) You know, I found both these things online. Today, they were making me feel like my mother was a freak! "Chinese pot pie!" they cringed. What do they know? Someone actually admitted they'd never had Chinese food until they got married! (Someone who lived just outside Philly, not the middle of nowhere.) Now I'm thinking that my mother's cooking was perhaps unsophisticated but it certainly wasn't freakish. You could tell the nemesis was dying to interject but didn't. Hm. Perhaps interesting in its own right.

*Only as much as I've already shown on Facebook.


7 comments:

Annie said...

Your Mom's food kept you alive and you seem to have grown up nicely and thrived. I don't see any problem.

Your snowman is looking good. That's a lot of white stitches, idiotic or otherwise, so I commend you on perseverance!

Edgar said...

Your snowman is coming along nicely!! And - I am up for trying some Chinese pot pie!!! of to find the recipe......

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Pretty July stitching. I never tried broccoli or asparagus until I left home! Yes, I do love them both. We did have Cheeseburger Pie...

Minnie said...

What is the recipe for Chinese Pot Pie, it sounds good to me.

Linda said...

Great progress on both pieces Nikki. The Texas Hash sounds good.

Linda

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Apart from the cream corn (which I do not have the faintest idea about) your Chinese pot pie sounds like the British shepherds pie. Assuming ground beef is minced beef? Don't ask me about cooking, I like to heat things up!

I was considered very exotic at school because I'd lived in the Far East and we had Chinese takeaway as a special treat sometimes. I actually had a Chinese style haircut and due to the very black colour some people thought I was Chinese! My town is very, um, provincial!

diamondc said...

All the Shepherds Bush Snowmen are adoeable.
Catherine