Monday, April 18, 2011

Maggie Monday: Thank You

I finally contacted my aunt. "Where are the photos you promised me? And do you think you could mention to the old lady that she hasn't sent a thank you note?"

It turns out, when you are 89 years old, you remember sending notes that you didn't send. Last Thursday, my aunt called to say she had printed the pictures and was sending them for me to scan, though my uncle was going to try to send them on the computer. Then she handed my grandmother the phone so I could get a quote.
An 89-year-old with her cards.
(If you squint, you can just make out the martini glass collection on the baker's rack in the upper left.)
"You write something; you're a writer," Maggie said. But I persisted on your behalf, and we got pure Maggie gold:
I had the best birthday, as you know. All those people sent cards...all nice and friendly...from all over! 
What a lousy quote, but I'm 89 years old. I can barely walk--but I'm getting a pedicure! Then we're going for Chinese. After that we're going to the movies, of course.  
You add something. You're my granddaughter*; you're a writer. That was quite a birthday. How did you come up with that idea? You're full of ideas; you're a writer. You need to write a book.
The snail's pace with which we thanked you in no way indicates our appreciation of your kindness. Maggie and I were delighted and overwhelmed by your generosity. My aunt tells me that she made a second set of photos for my grandmother and reports that the old girl cannot stop looking at them. Pat yourselves on the back; you done good.

* in case I forgot.

10 comments:

Alice said...

Classic Maggie... can barely walk, but is certainly not sitting still!

Catherine said...

Maggis is too funny!

Sandra said...

My God, I want such smooth skin when I'm 89 years old!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Thank God the cards were "nice and friendly"! Ugly and unfriendly cards would have sucked!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Maggie is very proud of her granddaughter, the writer.

dd

Mary said...

Ssmooth skin, snappy reparte AND good looking hair - to be so blessed!

Mary in MN

MelissaD said...

The martini glass collection cracked me up as well as the several reminders that you are a writer AND her granddaughter.

Glad she had a wonderful activity filled day - a pedicure, Chinese food and a movie sounds like a great way to spend the day. I may just do the same since my birthday is next week.

Jeanne said...

Hey good to know the sense of humor at 89 is still intact! You're making good progress on your projects - I'm kicking myself for not getting going on the hop along sampler which I bought last year - could've put it out for April darn it! And that willow tree sampler I have always liked.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I remember my Nana's "gratitude" at getting a telegram from the Queen on her 60th Wedding Anniversary "well, it's nice but it's not like she knows me or anything" :-)

Love hearing your Maggie stories.

Aussie Stitcher said...

She is a true Gem. LOL at her reminding you that you are her Granddaughter.