Monday, August 17, 2009

Metaphors

Remember when I said that people were using "cross-stitch" as an adjective to describe things that had nothing to do with fabric and floss? Here's an example. A good one too. Dancing. Go figure.

And more people who think cross-stitch is just for aphorisms (para 11). I'd like to explain what I'm trying to do by bringing these stories to you. Just as I think they would benefit from knowing what "we" are doing, I think we benefit knowing what people think of us, including those people doing the subversive stitching. I think we can learn something from the others, even if the journalists who write about us suck at writing cross-stitch directions.

I love a good Venn diagram but unfortunately my fabulous drawing showing the relationship between "subversives," "40ish something chart stitchers*," and "old ladies"--well, let's just say I'm too old lady to get it from powerpoint to blogger. Still, I don't think it benefits any of us just to write off anyone in the any other group.

So, here's what this 40-something-chart-stitcher managed this weekend. The stocking is almost finished--I ran out of the thread used for stitching the name on the stocking. Just 4.5 letters more to go...And that's what I did even though Stella sprained her paw this weekend and she has been on "bed rest" since Saturday. Have you ever lived with a puppy on bed rest? And no one got any tranquilizers for this endeavor. Damn vets.

*As far as I'm concerned "40" can last for decades. I'm not saying you're an old lady if you're over 40.

9 comments:

Bronny said...

Thank you for the amusing visual of a dancer 'cross-stitching' his steps.
A few hops to the left on one leg, then a few hops to the right. Then a left-right, left-right, left-right diagonally across the stage, a muttered expletive and a few steps backwards, then left-right, hop hop hop, left-right, hop hop hop, left-right, left-right, hop hop.
All with the grace of Gene Kelly/Fred Astaire
I still have no desire to stitch subversive verse, instead finding charm in vintage works - there is already enough 'in your face' art - most of which I admit to not understanding. Give me something that looks like it's meant to !!!
Keep finding these stories - I enjoy the thinking.

Brigitte said...

Very funny stories you use to find, lol.
I love that stocking. It's one of my favourites. And you will soon have a happy dance, maybe with cross-stitched legs? LOL.

quietgirl255 said...

How the hell do you put a puppy on bedrest?

I had a hard enough time keeping 2 cats "calm" after getting fixed...with no drugs either.

riona said...

I find it hard enough to keep a nineteen year old beagle from giving impromptu concerts at the top of her lungs ... she thinks she is a goddam canine Maria Callas. So tell me how do you keep a very large puppy on bedrest ... maybe the technique would help me.

Siobhan said...

Oh dang, a pup on bedrest. God bless you. I think they need to give YOU the tranquilizers!!

Love the stocking progress. I am trying not to freak about the fact that I need to get a stocking stitched for my niece and time is moving too quickly. Ack.

Carolyn NC said...

Poor puppy...or should I say you??? Explain to me again - just how do you put a puppy on bedrest without drugging them?
Love the stocking!

Linen Stitcher said...

When you create that Venn diagram, better put me in with the "40ish something chart stitchers." Goodness knows, I qualify.

One question: When cross-stitching dancers have a misstep, do they call it "frogging"?

Jenna said...

Stella? On bedrest? You are kidding me, right? How did you manage that? Did you have to strap her down in her crate? I remember when we had to keep Phoebe from jumping after her knee surgery when she was young. Not an easy thing!

venus said...

very interesting to read ....thanks for giving this kind of blogs....,thanks for sharing with us......

--
Venus
Best Affordable Security

Systems Suitable for Renters and Apartments, Business and RV