Sunday, June 14, 2009

Chess Match

The dude, my little chess master (he's not really a master--he's a B player), has a little bit of a aneurysm every time sportscasters use the term "chess match" to describe a situation that requires a bit of strategy or tactics in say, basketball or baseball, which decidedly are not chess matches.

Lately, I've noticed that when two apparently disparate things are brought together they are "cross-stitched." "The cross-stitched legislation..." "The after-school programs were cross-stitched together depending on the teacher's interests."

Nothing to with making tiny exes on fabric at all.

Just so you can have baby aneurysms all of your own.

Thank you so much for your effusive comments on my new pieces. You are all so generous with your praise. Tomorrow I'll show you what we decided to do with Anna's Bird.

8 comments:

mainely stitching said...

Argh! Things like that make my head hurt!

Patricia Lessell said...

I can't wait to see what you do with Anna's Bird. Love Patti xxx

karenv said...

Those phrases don't even make sense! Ack!

Glenna said...

Imprecise language--ugh. Along with the incorrect use of "it's" and "its," it will be the end of civilization.

Caroline said...

Blurg.

Siobhán said...

Hey Anna, I saw your comment on my blog... you can reach me at
siobhan xs AT yahoo DOT com... no spaces, etc. I think my address should be in my file, too, but I haven't checked.

I can't wait to see where Anna's Bird ended up!

Teresa said...

As Nero Wolfe would say, "Pfui"!

Linen Stitcher said...

Great title for this blog post! It's veeeery descriptive. Your own personal Stairway to Heaven is, well, heavenly! And "Anna's Bird" is such a fabulous piece, . . . but you already knew that, didn't you? Thanks for the inspiration!