Friday, August 08, 2008

Stitch in Public Day

I heard back from my "local" EGA president who sent me the tersest note. Hey, way to get me to join! It turns out that "the leadership" will be at the EGA meeting (the one that coincides with the EGA's planned stitch out) so "nothing is planned."

I've been saying that I start my new job September 2nd so often that it finally dawned on me that "Stitch in Public" day is a Wednesday. Basically this is something for the retired people and the stay at homes, isn't it? The soonest I could get to a mall after work would be 7pm. Have you ever been to the King of Prussia Mall on a weekday evening? We won't be stitching while the crowds go by. We'll be able to hear the crickets! And if there is no one around to see us stitch, what's the point? Basically people who don't work will be displaying that thing they do for...people who don't work. Retired people and stay at home people, no offense, but everyone already knows you do needlework! If we want to bring in new people, we have to find a way to stitch in front of all types. I could go out into the city to stitch on my lunch hour, but one person stitching is just one person. It's all about the group!

It seems to me if you want to attract new stitchers, you have to have this "stitch in public" day on a day when people are going to be out and about. When they have the leisure to stop by and watch or even learn. Better luck next time.

I will continue to stitch on my commute, on planes and in doctor's offices. But I do hope that EGA will reconsider their Stitch in Public day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I agree with you (like always). I was thinking about this for my Icelandic stitching group. Maybe we can meet at a cafe or something? I don't know. I am going to consider it a bit.

But if we do meet at a cafe, during the evening because I work full time as most of us do, I would have to get a sitter for the girls etc.

mainely stitching said...

Hm. Trying to picture a group of stitchers here in the Netherlands ... It would be interesting. Good luck getting the EGA to think the date through a bit better next time around.

imnverted said...

Agree with you 100%. Does seem sad that the organization planned this day but arent really doing much to promote it.

Ruth said...

ROTFLOL Maybe, just maybe they hope that those of us still gainfully employed will go sit on a bench at lunch.
Thanks for the laugh!

Melissa said...

When I have to take the kids to the mall, I sit in the food court and stitch. Every time I leave the house is a stitch in public day. Making it a weekday event is crazy. It reinforces the idea that cross stitchers are grannies, retirees, OLD. What are they thinking?

Laura Elizabeth said...

I couldn't agree more. These events should be on weekends or bank holidays when there are more people about. I'll drop a line to my local EGA but they're snooty-patooties and don't listen anyone not in "The Leadership".

Donna said...

FYI, the reason for the date for Stitch in Public being on a Wednesday has to do with the 50th anniversary of the founding of the EGA. Maybe this was the actual date of the first meeting?

Jenna said...

I stitched while waiting for Terry at the optometrist's office last week and received so many nice compliments! Everyone was interested in what I was doing and the administrator used to cross stitch, back when her eyes were in better shape. I had fun showing her the overdyed silk floss that I was working with and the fact that it was going to be a biscornu. Another woman commented on the opalescent fabric I was working on. That's the best reception I've ever had when stitching in public!