Friday, March 17, 2006

SBQ: Over One

Do you stitch “over one?” If so, describe your experiences. If not, have you considered it? Gosh, I've been stitching over one for as long as I've been stitching, I think I'd overwhelm myself--and you--if I tried to describe all my experiences. Since I read on Renee's blog that her first over one experience was on 22 count, I have to say that my very first cross-stitch project was over one! I did a wedding sampler for a stitching friend. Had no idea what I was doing so followed all the directions. It said use "Hardanger 22 count," so I did. It said to stitch over one, so I did.
The next over one experience I had was when I took a silk gauze class with Maureen Appleton. Screwed up. Didn't finish the project. Stayed away from silk gauze. But I did buy her Spirit of Cross Stitch video about working over one. Her biggest secret is to stitch loosely, so your floss doesn't roll under the fabric threads. I'm a pretty loose stitcher, so no troubles there.
I also took a class with Ruth Sparrow in the late 90s/early 00s, and she had us stitching "her way" which is over one, involves starting in the lower right hand corner and working up and left. So that screwed me up and didn't stay with me (she claims that it's less stress on your wrists). Those are probably my standout over one experiences. I switch patterns to over one whenever I think they should be smaller--like for ornaments. So many come out too big for my little tree.

No comments: