Saturday, August 23, 2003

Jesus loves me, this I know, because my cross-stitch tells me so.

I’ll admit I do lots of Christmas-oriented stitching: Santa ornaments, angels, that kind of stuff. But I’m a bit put off by some of the more religious aspects of stitching, being a profound atheist. Why do magazines and books seem to contain so many references to the Christian god? JCS has a psalm on the index page. Leisure Arts stuff does too. Is cross-stitch perceived as particularly Christian because of all the crosses? So much Jesus because Hoffman Media and Leisure Arts publish in the south? Is this another reason we should have allowed them to secede from the Union? I know there are Jewish stitchers out there—Pomegranate Guild most prominently. Are these Southern stitching sources being deliberately exclusionary? When’s the last time you saw a little Hebrew in the fine print?

I remember being at some market or other where there was a whole booth dedicated to these horrible Jesus “samplers.” My favorite, though not particularly religious, said, “A house without a mother is not a home.” Take that all you orphans!

I’m not knocking religious stitching. Maybe a little. What I do have a problem with are magazines on a secular subject pushing their religiosity on the rest of us in the guise of a little prayer. Don’t the people who want that have Bibles in their homes?

No comments: