Monday, December 18, 2006

Flip Flop Flop

In late September, Sissy handed me a pair of flip flops she had just bought (which will be pictured when blogger cooperates). She said, "These are adorable. They'd be easy for you to copy, and it's a present you could get done on time because it wouldn't take that long." And I walked off with one bejeweled olive flip flop.

In October, I bought 3 pairs of flip flops at knock-down prices (for Sissy, mother, and aunt). And then I started looking for the buckles, for that is what the sparkly-bit is. Buckles 1/2" in diameter. Right. I went online and found some things, but when it comes to rhinestones, you have to be picky. Some faux stones look tacky; some don't look so bad. We were aiming for the latter. I was going to have to get them in person. And then I had foot surgery.

So this week, I went to Michael's, Joann's, and AC Moore in search of buckles. I found a flower-shaped silver-tone buckle 3" in diameter. I was desperate, so I bought it. I also bought a pair of pins about 1/2" in diameter. As I tried to manouever the ribbon and buckle and shoe, I realized the 3" buckle was a waste: I had to attach it at the junction of the flip flop straps, and doing so meant that the buckle hung out over the toes. I thought I could take the bus to fabric row during my lunch hour to see what could be found. If I squeezed the trip in on Monday, I could still get them done and wrapped before I had to bring the presents to my sister and cousin. (They're driving to NH and can take wrapped gifts. I fly: no wrapped gifts.) The pin didn't work either. I couldn't get the pin to stay closed while I was working with it; I considered superglue to keep it closed, but it all just seemed too overwhelming at this late date.

All this was happening around the same time I was whipping up the ribbon candy ornaments for Sissy. I thought, hey, I've got a present for Sissy. I have one for my mom too (Call of the Ocean). All I have left is Auntie Em.

Now, in addition to cleaning our house which has degenerated in the month since I had my surgery, I have to finish making and send the Christmas cards, finish Call of the Ocean, get myself waxed and plucked, write a letter of recommendation, make my generic "winter" wreath, work, and sleep. Normally, I'd say to hell with the house, and work on a present for Auntie Em, but we have guests who are coming the evening before we come back from NH. Nothing's ever easy. So I have stuff.to.do. before we leave Friday night.

I have come up with two ideas for Auntie Em: a tiny Altoid tin scrapbook or finish an already-stitched piece from the finishing pile. Here are the pros and cons:
scrapbook pros: 12 small 2x3 pages, have all the supplies, this will be a snap
scrapbook cons: will have to collect photos, will have to paint Altoid tin (do have spray paint), really tiny present, considering I've made two 12x12 Christmas scrapbooks for her and a scrap calendar of her first grandchild
cross stitch pros: if I'm finishing the ocean present for my mom as a flat fold (I have a frame and have cut the foam core), it's not that much more work; it's a really pretty piece; I haven't given her a cross-stitch present in a while
cross stitch cons: I have the fear it is going to take me too long to finish two flat folds, I need to find matt board

What to do? What to do? But more importantly, when to do it?

3 comments:

Glenna said...

What to do? What to do? Books, at Borders! Nice, hard cover books, purchased with Borders coupons. Can you tell I don't ever make gifts? (Except for the jars of berry jam I made last summer.) I want to see the little Altoid scrapbook!

Melissa said...

Anna-thanks for the tip about the Altoids tin scrapbook. If there's any ink in my printer I might be able to whip one of these up for my mom in the next day or so. What a great idea!

Stitchermommy said...

Where abouts in NH will you be? If you are lose enough maybe we can meet up. I love meeting new online friends in person.

What exactly is an Altoids tin scrapbook???