Monday, March 31, 2014

Mancraft Monday: The Re-defininging and Smalls Report

I want to thank you all for your encouraging comments and nice notes. Even though I returned to work the day of my last post, I have been tired until recently and I still have this damn cough.

I've been thinking and thinking about how to get back to the craft month celebration. I appreciate all your suggestions but the idea of taking it back up for three straight weeks kind of repulsed me. It's so much work to make a craft every day, and the idea of dragging it out to a new month did not appeal to me. That's when I though I could string out the crafts for the rest of the year in a series of Mancraft Monday posts.  Not only will I have the weekend to work on the projects, it has a nice ring to it. So for the rest of the year, Mancraft Monday. That also means there will be some bonus posts since we've got about 38 weeks left.

I started my small for Stitching Lotus's SAL when we went off to Washington. And then it got put away when I was sick. But I finally finished. Because I was crafting for men this month, I chose a small (which was not that small in the end) that might make a nice gift for a man. The men in my life have influenced the projects I have chosen, so it's another Dr. Who themed project.

This is a pattern by Wee Little Stitches whose work is available on etsy. This is a tardis with doctors 9, 10, and 11. (I bought it a while ago!)

When I was stitching on this, twice people who were sitting opposite from me (so looking at the back) exclaimed with delight, "Is that a tardis!?" The last time it happened I was getting a pedicure and wearing my double glasses, so you know, I really wanted more attention called to me. (And she called it knitting...)

I'm glad to be back and I'll have some more interesting mancrafts for you next week.

11 comments:

Stitchinowl said...

The woman called your cross stitch "knitting"? I occasionally get the remark, "what is that?" You know, I now live in Flor-i-duh, so that's explains everything.
Glad to see you are back to posting and feeling a little better.
Carolyn

Linda said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling almost 100% again Nikki. Congrats on the cute finish.
If you don't know what a person is doing, then don't call it anything.

Linda

Robin in Virginia said...

Very cool Tardis piece! Thank you for including the link in your post. Happy to hear you are feeling better!

Robin in Virginia

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I like the idea of regular weekly themed posts.

There are some great Dr Who stitches around, I saw someone starting the 3D Tardis this week.

And no, they are not knitting it. Or crocheting. Or lace-making. or anything else people call stitching!

Glad you are feeling better too.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Glad your energy and mojo have reappeared. Happy crafting!

Margaret said...

Love that design -- so cute! Glad you are feeling better. Isn't it hysterical when people call stitching the wrong thing? Or knitting, or quilting or... I have had it happen with each craft I do.

Nina said...

Welcome back! Love the Mancraft Monday idea.
It's not just in public that stitching is misunderstood. My father-in-law always insisted I could hem pants and sew clothes because I stitched...I guess if the pants were made of even-weave linen and the wearer didn't mind little x's.
Here's to your health!

Anonymous said...

It's a biggie small. We love ours, MIA Twelfth Doctor notwithstanding.

Jennifer said...

Prolonged coughing sucks.

I LOVE the idea of Mancraft Monday.

I have a suggestion for next year's Craft Month (because you know it will happen). Instead of trying to do a craft a day, why not pick a weekly theme or technique and 2-3 projects for the week? One week could be stamping or card making, one week could be jewelry / accessories, one week could be stitching or finishing. You can still work on a craft every day, but you don't have to complete a craft every day

Maria del Valle said...

I'm glad you are here!
Patience with your cough, it will go slowly

Hugs :)

Coral said...

Knitting, snort!!

I swear people do not absorb 'good' information: like the name of what a craft is.

I hope you are betterer - as my kids used to say when they were small.