Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Maggie Tuesday! Maggie-isms

Happy birthday, Maggie! It's my grandmother's birthday, and I will be delivering your cards later today. Thank you again for sending them. My grandmother has a lot of little sayings and phrases that she uses. In honor of her birthday, my sister and my cousin helped me compile a dictionary of her argot.

"God bless your pointed little head"--I have no idea what that thing you just said means, so I will pretend that you are stupid.

"May I say this to you about that?"--I'm about to say something to you that is mean and perhaps hurtful, but there's nothing you can do about that now.

"I must be a bad person."--What she says in response when you make fun of her or respond in kind to the above statement. Also, "I must be a terrible person."


"That's not for me." -- Slightly more polite than I don't like it.

"Let's take our time and enjoy this meal."--I'm having two martinis before we start dinner.

"You could use a little color."--Put on some make-up. Also, "You could use a little color in your face."

"I don't eat like you people."--You eat too much; order something I like so I can pick off your plate.

"Where's all your beautiful jewelry."--You are underaccessorized; put on some jewelry. Also, "Where's all that beautiful jewelry your father gave you?"

"Is that the style?" Usually asked when she disapproves of something a young person is wearing.

"I, myself, do not drink."--Is this a dry house? Where's my drink? Also, when directed at my cousin, join me in a drink.

Make today a Maggie Tuesday! Go have a martini in a glass that matches your outfit. Cheers!

12 comments:

xeyedmary said...

Tell Maggie to have two martinis for me!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Happy birthday, Maggie! I'll have a martini in her honor when I meet Deb at our local watering hole this evening. Love her passive-aggressive sayings!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Happy Birthday Maggie, hope you love all your cards.

My Nana's favourite saying was "Cover your head up". Meaning "wear a hat, it's cold" not "oh my goodness you should have a bag over your face" LOL.

Mouse said...

hope she has a wonderful day and to have a drink for me too HIc ..lol
happy birthday maggie :) love mouse xxxxx

Deb said...

Just love Maggie's sayings. I'll tip one tonight when I meet up with Terri and maybe have one at lunch too with another friend. Although, I, myself, do not drink! (much)!

Happy Birthday Maggie!!!

Carrie said...

Happy Birthday Maggie! I think your grandma is such a hoot and love when you post about her!

Kathy A. said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Maggie!!!!

MelissaD said...

Happy Birthday Maggie!
Enjoy your cocktails as much as you like - it is your day! Glad to see you still have plenty of spice and vinegar.

Daffycat said...

I'm totally having an extra drink in honor of Maggie's birthday.

Happy birthday, Maggie!

doris said...

If I ever reach Maggie's age, I'm planning on having as many martinis as I want!

Your Maggie dictionary is the best. I think I have a new way to introduce cocktail time: I, myself, don't drink.

valerie said...

Too funny! Happy Birthday to Maggie!

barbara said...

What a terrible day to be out of vodka. I will have to join Maggie in a gin (shudder) martini.