Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Monsterbubbles

At camp, one of our new friends was stitching up monsterbubbles' Eiffel Tower Christmas ornament from the (most recent?) JCO issue, which, let me tell you, was gorgeously bright. And, when I arrived home my order from monsterbubbles had arrived. Happy coincidence.



Sometime last month, I got an e-newsletter from monsterbubbles saying that her new book was available and if you bought it from her, she'd sign it. The deal also offered free shipping and a free chart for spending a certain amount. Well, how could I pass that up? I love "Don't." ("Don't let's ask for the moon, we've got the stars." Edgar can name that in one.) I know I keep saying this, but maybe that will be the dude's anniversary present. I got Merry and Bright and one of the patterns for screen as a gift. Because she sent the order out kind of late, she sent along an extra pattern, "Simplify," which may be impossible at this point.

I know you are dying to know what is in Stitch Graffiti besides that striped heart on the cover and Heather Holland-Daly's autograph. There are many of the designer's offbeat phrase designs, including "Imagine Peace," "Relish the Night," and "On a Bad Day, there's Lipstick." She has a little section called "tattoos" to stitch on clothing--to try out before you ink your skin, as it were. The final section offers ideas about decorating with stitches. Her goal, and this is one she expresses on her website too, is to bring new stitchers into the fold by showing them how cool cross-stitch can be. So the book is a little on the "hip" side. For example, there are suggestions for music to listen to while you stitch. No offense to Heather, but they're the suggestions of a 40-year old. I don't know how that's going to play with the kids. What I do like about the book and what I do think will play with the kids is the freedom she espouses. She explains how to make floss and fabric substitutions and what the substitutions mean for the design. The patterns are planned for mesh bags, flyswatters, clothing, and screen--not just evenweaves and linen. I think the book taps into the DIY nature of the way the kids are crafting these days. I hope it works. You will definitely see a design or two from this book here in the future.

And, don't stay up too late blogging tonight, okay?

9 comments:

Chelle said...

Nice review of Heather's book!

staci said...

Lots of wonderful new stash~~so which will you be starting first?!?!

Michele said...

Hi Anna, I love Monsterbubbles designs. I'm going to be ordering the book this weekend. Thanks for the great review! About the mesh bags you saw on my blog .. yes I got them at B&N along with my other shopping theraphy goodies. I think the mesh might be a bit too tight to stitch through, but with a thin needle and one strand of floss it just might work. I'm curious and will have to try it out this weekend! lol

Love your new Monsterbubble stash!

mainely stitching said...

Yeah, I like Heather's designs, too, and have a little stash of them. But I'm interested in the blogging link you closed with. I've been curious about these people who've turned blogging into an income - Niek's coworkers have made comments that I ought to do that, but I've responded that if I did it for money, it would probably lose a lot of the fun, fast. Another acquaintance I know of blogs for money and after she told me that she earns money from people reading her blog, I quit! LOL! It just really bugged me...

Donna said...

I love that movie.
I love any Bette Davis movie. Even the awful ones. She's so much fun to watch.

Edgar said...

What a great review and such great charts! and I love that Movie - "Now Voyager" - 1942 - great cast, writing and cinematography.

Anonymous said...

I've got my eye on a few Monsterbubbles charts, and I'll keep an eye out for the new book. Thanks for the review!

Michelle said...

I love Monsterbubbles, and I have that Eiffel Tower ornament on my list to stitch! I'll be interested to see some of the things that you stitch from the book. I guess it's a good thing no one's paying me to blog, I have enough pressure.

Sharon said...

What a great selection! I love Heather's stuff and I have several charts all on my to stitch one day list-lol