I don't know if I'll be blogging from Lost Wages, but I know I can't leave for Vegas without giving you the answers.
2. “Boy, oh boy, am I a boy.” Some Like It Hot, Jack Lemmon realizes that he can't marry Oswald. Billy Wilder was a frickin' genius. This movie stands up even today.
3. "Cromwell will not come till sunset, and her lips grew strangely white... as she breathed the husky whisper, curfew must not a-ring tonight." Desk Set, a movie for all my librarian friends. When Miss Warriner types in "curfew" for "Corfu," Bunny (Katharine Hepburn) recites this poem that EMORAC brings up.
4. “Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.” Old School, you'll see a theme here, how much I love dumb movies. A reformed (and married) "Frank the Tank" tells the college kids what he's got planned for the weekend. Whenever we go to Home Depot, we always say this line. (And you have to draw out tiiiiime.)
5. “Say now, wait a minute. Let's get this straightened out right now. If you're nursing any silly notion that I'm interested in you, forget it. You're just a headline to me.” It Happened One Night I'm a sucker for the screwballs.
6. “Round tones, round tones. Now, let me hear you read your line.”“And I cayn't stan’ 'im.”
Singin' In the Rain, I do a most excellent imitation of Lina Lamont, and this is my line. She's learning how to speak for the talkies.
7. “This is the Voice of Doom calling. Your days are numbered, to the seventh son of the seventh son.” Philadelphia Story, I wasn't going to give you an easy one. Jimmy Stewart has been shown to the south parlor, and he's fooling around with the intercom system.
8. “Do me a favor, for your own good, put your name in your books right now before they get mixed up and you won't know whose is whose. 'Cause someday, believe it or not, you'll go 15 rounds over who's gonna get this coffee table. This stupid, wagon wheel, Roy Rogers, garage sale COFFEE TABLE.” When Harry Met Sally... This was the easy one! Everyone got it--c'mon Barbara, you got this one, right? (Jess's wagon wheel coffee table really did have to go.)
9. “Look, I've boned a lot of fat chicks in my time, sure. But, as far back as I can remember, I've never fornicated anybody.” Bad(der) Santa, truly one of the most irreverent movies of all time. Have you not seen this yet? You must. So much dirty dirtiness!
10. “Nihilists! Fuck me. I mean, say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos.” The Big Lebowski, the Coen brothers are unbelievably brilliant. How do they come up with this stuff? They are the dude's favorite filmmakers, and this is his favorite of their films. (Indeed, it's where I got his nom de blog.)
11. "You know, once I was thinking of quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung, and testicular cancer all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and won the Tour de France five times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit. So what are you dying of that's keeping you from the finals?"
"Right now it feels a little bit like... shame." Dodgeball, Peter runs into Lance Armstrong as he's sneaking out of Vegas. A lot of this movie is funny, but it's not so much in the dialogue--Justin Bateman is brilliantly hilarious, but not eminently quotable.
12. "If you get tired, pull over!"
"If you get hungry, eat something!"
Best in Show; sometimes when I'm watching a movie things crack me up that no one else laughs at. And I have one of those laughs: I've actually made people in the movie theater laugh simply by laughing. You probably don't even remember Harlan Pepper getting these words of advice shortly before he starts naming nuts.
13. "What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building?" Zoolander, where would this list be without Ben Stiller and Will Ferrell? He's talking about the scale model for the Center for Children Who Can't Read Good.
14. "I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm just 'Crewman Number Six.' I'm expendable. I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is. I've gotta get outta here." Galaxy Quest, a very enjoyable satire of science fiction flix. And Guy's right--that's exactly who his character is...or is he?
15. "It's just like Hamlet said, 'To thine own self be true.'""Hamlet didn't say that. "
"I think I remember Hamlet accurately. "
"Well, I remember Mel Gibson accurately, and he didn't say that. That Polonius guy did."
Clueless. I really didn't like this movie when I saw it in the theater, but then I brought the video to Poland to help with ESL classes. It began to grow on me. I especially like this scene where we begin to realize Cher might have some depth. (And this film was Donald Faison's big break--where would Scrubs be without him?)