Thursday, July 14, 2005

SBQ: Obligations

What do you do when you have some sort of obligation stitching to do, but don’t want to do it?
This may be a rather obvious answer but the truth is I procrastinate until it needs to be done. I mean, look at all the years of posts I got out of avoiding the obligation of stitching the afghan. The other option is that I just suck it up. When I've had to work on unappealing round robin stitching, I work on it as soon as possible until it's done. It's like taking medicine--just do it in one shot and get it over with.

Obligation stitching can be a real drag. I'm definitely not signing up for any more round robins after the ones I am in are done. First, I haven't been impressed with the level of commitment people have to them. They generally sign up for more than they can handle, so the deadlines get postponed to accomodate them. What about accomodating the people who are committed? Secondly, I'm not generally impressed with the people in the round robins. I keep getting these reactionary and conservative letters from the other stitchers, and I just think, "I have to stitch a piece for this woman?" That is, when you get any letter at all. It's just not creating the kind of community I was hoping for. Can I really suggest that I was optimistic on this? (Those who know me know I tend toward the cynical...)

No comments: