Tuesday, February 17, 2004

The French Have it Right

I enjoyed my extra day off; I'm wondering how come we can't have 30 hour work weeks in this country. You know you're slacking off at least 10 hours a week. I feel so much more ready for the upcoming week with an extra day's rest--and it's going to be a busy one!

I'm more than a little worried about the thread situation on the afghan. I seem to have seriously overestimated every thread color except 2890, 2319, 2320, and 2469. So I drove an hour out of the way on Saturday to swing by the last "L"NS that carries Flower Thread. I was fortunate enough to find the DMC 2890--and in the same dye lot. But I am going to be short of the others, especially 2319 and 2320. I suppose I could substitute 2500/2501/2502 because I have several extra skeins of those.

I'd also like to complain about just how unhelpful the women at the needlework store were. Now, I know they're not going to make a ton of money off of me buying 8 skeins of flower thread, but they don't know how much more money I might have spent if they had been nice. When I asked about conversion between the DMCFT and the other brands they had (Ginnie Thompson, which I am not fond of because it is nubbly, and Eva Rosenstand), the owner shouts, "Oh, you are not going to be able to find that," while she sat on her substantial ass. Well, there was a DMC to GT guide, but I'm not crazy about the GT. I was told, "you should just get the DMC equivalents and then try to match them." Well, duh. Except there were no good matches. If you know about a secret stash of DMCFT or a conversion chart between DMCFT and Eva Rosenstand, let me know. I did check the Counted Cross Stitch, Needlework, and Stitchery Page, but they just have DMC to GT and DMCFT to Danish Flower Thread, and Danish Flower Thread is now Ginnie Thompson Flower Thread. If you're looking for any of a variety of colors yourself and you have some 2319 and 2320 to trade, contact me: I'm looking for 2319 (dye lot 77540-28032), 2320 (dye lot 77540-28033) and 2469 (dye lot 077540-280537) but I'm not het up about matching dye lots because I should have enough for this square and then I can make decisions about the other two.

Progress pictures.

No comments: