Monday, May 11, 2015

Baby Samplers

Special K and Sugar Rea are turning one next month. Where does the time go? I thought I should get a move on, especially since the needlework shop is having a sale on framing. (The sale is a bonus; the drawback is the influx of framing pushing the three week turnaround to six or more weeks.) I had to get these suckers done!

Last weekend I went to the needlework shops looking for additional silk because I was not going to finish both these baby samplers with the thread I had left. My two local shops didn't have the Belle Soie Carnation that I was using, so I looked for something that would "go." I was pretty successful, I think.

The original pink silk I was using forms the boxes and the lettering. The overdyed is Waterlilies Apple Blossom.

What's that you say? Mistake? Why, yes, there is. You will be relieved to know that I noticed, thanks to some eagle-eyed friends on Facebook. (Can't find it? Here's a clue. They aren't a scheduled C-section for this year.) Fortunately, I had Sugar Rea's sampler with me, so I picked out my work--more on that in a moment--and used the Carnation to fix the error. The five became a four before it went in for framing.

So, picking out the work. Well, Sugar Rea's sampler looked like this after the emergency unpicking.


My sister decided she liked the variegated/pink combination better and because I am an amazing sister--with nothing else to do--I am changing it. I hope to get it to the shop before next weekend. Wish me luck!

12 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I saw them on FB, aren't you lucky your friend spotted the error?
The variegated is very pretty.

Robin in Virginia said...

They are going to be lovely with the variegated. What a good sister/aunt you are!

Robin in Virginia

Linda said...

Will look great when done Nikki. It's a good thing the mistake was found before it was framed.

Linda

SuperMomNoCape said...

My goodness, you are a good sister to unpick all that stitching. :) The baby samplers are really cute!

I've been enjoying browsing through some of your other posts. I recently started a weekly Stitchery Link Party for all things hand embroidered, including cross-stitch and I would love to have you come link up your post so my readers can come visit too. http://www.supermomnocape.com/2015/05/11/vintage-embroidery-monday-stitchery-link-party-5/

I do hope you'll come and join in the fun.

Carol said...

Whew! What a relief the date error was spotted :) It really is pretty in that variegated thread!

Margaret said...

You really are a nice sister to change to variegated for her. Looks pretty both ways!

Justine said...

Beautiful stitching - thank goodness your friend spotted your error!

Wendy said...

what cute samplers, I love the little bunny block

Beth said...

No good deed goes unpunished! They are worth all the time and effort! Thank goodness you caught the date error.

Sheryl said...

Pretty stitching. The design is lovely. I remember a tip I read years ago about stopping every now and again and checking that your design is in line and correct, so easy to be a stitch out or whatever especially if you stitch in the evening listening to the TV, like I do.

Coral said...

They are gorgeous! Well done!

Sharon said...

Pretty birth samplers! A super late congratulations on your gorgeous nieces! I see that I have missed a lot here on your blog... I blame the downfall of google reader and the fact that I spend more time with my iPad in hand. Also, let me not leave out Facebook as well. I must rectify this situation...lol