Friday, July 25, 2014

In the Garden: In Rememberance of Blooms Past

Now that you have the big picture, let's focus on some of the early (spring) flowers that I have.

This is the geranium everyone wanted to remove last year. Seriously, I had to tell two different people—and one of them twice—that it was a plant and not a weed.

I cut back the other geranium (Johnson's Blue). I love how this spills out onto the path. And I look forward to the re-bloom in the fall.

I've also recently deadheaded the salvia. This is "Caradonna." Two weeks ago or so, I put two more in on the other side of the agastache. It's the right height. But I do hate how it flops when it's done.


Nothing like the baptisia, however, that m-effer finishes blooming and it cannot hold itself up at all. Probably needs more sun, definitely needs for me to put the giant cage on it at the right time. The cage is just so giant, it looks stupid and I can't bring myself to believe this plant gets so huge year after year. Here it is flopping around and hiding the clematis. 



Here's something that you may find unusual, it's zizia auria or golden Alexander. This native plant is pretty widespread but sadly lacking in representation in the garden. I found it when my MIL and I went to Bowman's Wildflower Preserve a few years ago. I bought it because the blooms end up looking like this (right). I see fireworks. Now if only it were still blooming...

I know some people don't like to put the self-seeders in their gardens, but I'm casual about that. Like when these volunteers showed up*, I just let them be. Hey, if they want to propagate all over this garden, that's a-okay with me. Less weeding. Allegedly…

*Yup, they're growing between the air conditioning unit and the house. I've left them because they are spreading! For free!

3 comments:

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Your blooms look really good! I just yanked a huge Baptista out of my garden this year. Loved the purple flowers but like you,mhate how it falls over and it was HUGE - on a southern exposure. I didn't care for the pods it got, either. Too bad, it was pretty when blooming.

Beth said...

There is no such thing as a Perfect Plant - at least I've not yet found one. They all seem to have drawbacks - mildew, flopping, self-sowing, But as we too are imperfect, so are plants, but they have the benefit of being pretty for a few weeks anyway!

Marcy said...

I love your geraniums. I have the same pink one in my garden. I love when it pops up somewhere on it's own. A free plant ... woohoo! But I'm a messy gardener.