Wednesday, April 20, 2005

A Model Stitcher

Renee over at Stitched with Love and Cat Hair has asked: Have you ever been asked to do model stitching? Did you do it? If so, what was your compensation? (money, stash, etc.) If not, why not? If you haven't done it, if you were asked would you? Why or why not?

I don't hang around many stores or designers, so I've never been asked to be a model stitcher. But once, Kate and I were at CATS and a vendor--the woman who sold broken pottery jewelry who didn't stitch--asked if one of us would stitch a Liz Turner Diehl stumpwork piece for her in exchange for merchandise. I was just not interested. I had just taken the class, so it wasn't that I didn't know how or couldn't. I just have to be moved to stitch for others. I am often moved to stitch for others, but it nearly always for people I know personally. An offer of money just doesn't do it for me. Not even to get a preview of a designer's new work. I've got plenty to do for myself.

On the other hand, the reason Renee was asking this question is that she's often thought of designing for herself. Now that appeals to me. I have a little notebook of ideas, and a name for my hypothetical future design company. My first piece is from the film version of Mansfield Park (I haven't read the Austen in a long time, so I don't remember if this quote is in the original): "Run mad as often as you choose, but do not faint." All right, I'm running off at the mouth, sharing too much as usual. Don't steal it! ;)

No comments: