Sunday, July 01, 2018

Let's Catch Up

Well, that was a long time to be away! I haven't been crafting much, reading more. There's also been work brouhaha, vacations, visits, and auntly* duties. Let's see if I can catch you up in one go.

I realize that I haven't even shown you the last craft of Craft Month. You may remember that I was making little imaginary parties. I made a hot chocolate party. To top your hot chocolate, you could choose crushed peppermints, mini chocolate chips, nuts, marshmallows, whipped cream, and chocolate syrup for drizzling. I added whole peppermint sticks for stirring, if you like that kind of thing. I used buffalo plaid tableware not only because it matches my crockpot, but I find it very cozy. (I've had a couple of buffalo plaid flannel nighties in my day.) There are many recipes for crockpot hot chocolate on the internet, but I'd rather not use condensed milk (too sweet) and put my regular stove-top hot chocolate recipe in only to stay warm.

I also finally got to use these adorable cardinal bowls I bought (at Target?) a couple of years ago. 💗

According to my photos, I went to Longwood and the Please Touch Museum with my sister and the girls. (They remind me of me and my sister!)
My mother-in-law came for a visit in early May, and we made our usual rounds of gardens. We went to a couple of new ones too, and took a trip up to Jim Thorpe where we had some lovely woodsy walks and delicious breakfasts


My 30th (!) college reunion struck at the beginning of June. We spent an expected amount of time talking about perimenopause and eldercare and children going off to college, with an adequate time spent reminiscing and sharing our accomplishments. It was a refreshing weekend despite the wicked heat and humidity. (It was especially wet; in five years, I'm hoping our "reunion gift" is a pair of wellies.) A couple of days later the dude and I were off for a celebratory (he's--almost--50!) vacation in Portugal.



Some someones turned four at the end of June. The multi-themed party necessitated three types of cupcakes--Spider-Man (Sweet Baby Rea), Rapunzel (Special K), and Pink Pineapples (Sissy). But my cousin--who's now in pastry school!--handled them all with aplomb. I was also successful in making a Spider-Man card and a Rapunzel card (thank goodness for all those yellow DMC flosses--which became a braid hanging from a castle).

Let me make some rounds, and I'll be back to tell you more about our vacation.

*Why doesn't aunt have a nice adjectival form like avuncular? I wonder why that might be...

7 comments:

Annie said...

Fun times with family! Googling told that the female equivalent of avuncular is materteral.

Anna van Schurman said...

According to the OED there is only one reference in 1823 and it is listed as "humorously pedantic." We need a real word that recognizes the strength and importance of aunts.

Pamela said...

Glad to see you back. Cute nieces! How can they be four already? It seems like they were just born.

Beth said...

Welcome back - you have had a busy and fun spring.

Robin in Virginia said...

I enjoyed reading what you have been up to while you were gone. I can not believe the girls are 4. How can they be 4 already? Enjoy your summer!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I vote for "Aunticular".

Nice to see a post from you. you've missed all the commenting issues, lucky you.

I couldn't see the gif, probably because of Europe.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Well worth returning to see the working GIF!