Tuesday, October 14, 2014

I Made It Monday...and Posted on Tuesday

I finished the Thistle Sampler this weekend! This felt like such a throwback to work on, but it is certainly appropriate to celebrate my Scottish MIL's birthday (belatedly).

You will notice however that I have not posted this on Monday. Yesterday was busy as all get-out. First, I am slammed with work with two big reports due in the next two months. Second, the silent auction is Saturday (and I'm still getting items! So much to do!). And yesterday was cookbook club. I made winter squash soup from Ina Garten's Barefoot in Paris. It was easy and delicious, and I made it between getting home and leaving for the meeting. (In case you're keeping track, the dude made mango sorbet.)


Sunday was no better. I finished up the stitching, ironed it, photographed it. Then had to rush out the door to pick up my mother at the airport and bring her to my sister's. My mother is making good on her promise of visiting monthly to help out. And there was the matter of my birthday celebration; there were presents and key lime pie and gassy babies. Now I am boringly old on a Tuesday. Phhht. (However, a big round number birthday is coming and it will be on Friday!)

Back to the sampler which is what you come here for. I love the texture in this with the different flosses and stitches. The ecru and lavender knot may be my favorite. Or is it the small thistles (below)? (Just don't look too closely at the pulled work.)

I felt so good to have finished something this year that wasn't a small! Of course it wasn't that big, either. But done is good, and this is quite lovely. Charland Designs, Thistle Sampler, 1997.

13 comments:

Linda said...

Congrats on the great finish Nikki. Happy Birthday. Sometimes I'm glad that I lead a boring life.

Linda

Beth said...

As the Brits say, "Well done!" I like the colors and it sound as though it will be a perfect gift.

Pamela said...

Beautiful sampler! Enjoy your birthday.

Melody said...

Your stitching is lovely. Hope you have a great birthday!!

Adrienne Martini said...

Gorgeous.

Susan said...

The pulled work looks great! This really is a throwback as I remember Charland Designs from the Spirit of Cross Stitch festivals way back in the 90s.

valerie said...

Congrats on your finish! Pretty sampler!

Cole said...

It's a very pretty piece, congrats on your finish!

Happy Birthday! :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a stunning piece, the colours are lovely. The speciality stitches look great too. I am sure this will be a treasured piece.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

ps forget to post Happy Birthday on the day, so I'll say it here. And why the gassy babies? Is this a tradition? LOL

Blu said...

Congrats! It's such a pretty finish.

Lulu said...

Congrats on the finish! The colors in this design are lovely.

Jennifer said...

Ohhh how lovely! A most excellent finish!