Wednesday, June 26, 2013

June Check-in

This week has found me a little unexpectedly in Florida taking care of my dad. My mother is off on a cruise in northern Europe. He was supposed to have surgery but it was put off before she left. I was supposed to be here for that, but it was postponed again. Now I'm just hanging with him. And changing bandages. (Awesome, right?) It does give me the opportunity to spend his birthday tomorrow with him.

My June ornament is Monsterbubble's Joyeux Noel from the 2007 JCO issue, as you can see from the photo that I took with and altered on  my phone. I wanted to color correct the fabric and my unfamiliarity with my parents' computer (which seems to have a lot more on it then they need or use) pushed me to my phone. It does need some beads (is this a theme with me?) but I didn't bring them with. (Of course not!)

Stitched on:
28-ct tropical green linen from Wichelt
Called for flosses

This is part of the Ornament SAL that Stitching Lotus is hosting. Check out what everyone's done.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Fingers crossed all is well with your dad. How great to spend his birthday with him.

Love your ornament...

Unknown said...

HB to your dad...glad you have this time to spend with him.

Great ornament!

Margaret said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad. here was I thinking you were really desperately ill :-) Love the ornament. Will have to go digging in my magazine pile for that one myself!

Lisa said...

A really unusual design it is great :-)

Beth said...

Oh I think I need to stitch that too! Very cool

Linda said...

What a great ornament Nikki.

Linda

Virpi said...

I hope your dad gets better after the surgery. A cruise to northern Europe sounds interesting - Scandinavia?

Lovely ornament.

Coral said...

Happy birthday, dad!

That is a rather cute stitch.

Chris said...

Gorgeous! I love this one. Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Not sure where you are in FL, but if you are any where near Jacksonville there is an awesome needlework/knit shop called Stitches in Time off University Blvd, they have a huge selection of mill hill beads, fabrics and a zillion charts, too.

Sending best wishes for your day that he'll be back on the mend very soon.

Margaret said...

Hope you and your dad have a nice time together. Happy birthday wishes for him and for his recovery. Your stitching looks nice too -- phone pictures work fine. :D

Annie said...

You are a good daughter to care for you Dad. Hope he recovers quickly.

Lovely stitching. Memory lane for me. I stitched it the year it came out and gave it to a friend who had just come back from Paris on a 40th birthday trip. I always wondered if the red stripes represented some building in Paris. The French ladies in one of my stitching groups said they thought it was just a design element.

Laura said...

I stitched this one a few years ago. I like the green linen you used on yours.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Hope y'all have a great birthday celebration! Cute ornie.

KimM said...

You keep up your spirits. I am working through a mother in rehab from a massive stroke and a step father recovering from colon cancer surgery - at least they are in facilities next to each other;)
Please visit my blog wisdomwithneedleandthread@blogspot.com - I love oyur blog :)

KimM said...

Oh my gosh! I just realized we are both part of Stitching Lotus SAL! You rock!

Heather said...

The ornament looks great!

Best wishes for your dad. I hope he is doing better soon.

Giovanna said...

All the best to your dad, and many happy returns for his b'day. The ornament is so pretty, congrats.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice ornie, Christmas in Paris would be great as long as I had the budget to buy all my presents there too,
Hope you're being patient with your patient.