Then I started gluing. I did a red, white, and blue set. The magnets I bought were one inch in diameter, which I hadn't thought much about until I tried to put the blue star button as the bottom button (the one in the lower left). I could have painted the magnet, but that seems like it would have really complicated this project! So I ended up with blue-on-blue, but I think it works. (Wish I had had a giant white button.)
These are my tropical version. My choices are limited, since most of my buttons are from my mother's clothes. (When they moved, she gave me all those stray buttons that accompany your clothes--the ones that come in little plastic bags in case you lose one.) They're drying in these photos or I'd show you how well they look on my fridge. Day one complete!