Monday, January 30, 2012

Maggie Monday: Slammin the Scammers

Someone called Maggie last week, needing her bank account information so they could send her a new Medicare card. Um, right. She should go get her checkbook now.

She wasn't sure what she should do so she told them she didn't have her checkbook with her. When he told her to go get a bank statement, she hung up.

I would love to tell you that she totally recognized this as a scam, but she called my aunt to ask what she should do. Auntie Em told her she did the right thing, but then, Maggie's reasons for not engaging came out:
  1. "He sounded foreign."
  2. It sounded like he was calling from a bar or another busy place, not an office. 
  3. My aunt also estimates that Maggie is a little put off by men. She thinks they are trying to outwit her, so her guard is up. (And in this case, absolutely right!)
Remind your old people that no one who is legitimate will ask them for this sort of information. Tell them not to give in.

Speaking of Maggie, her 90th birthday is coming up in mid-March. I am going to collect 90 cards--I've already received a proclamation from her governor!--to send up to her. I know some of you (nonscamming types) already have her address, but I'd appreciate it if you could send cards to me, so she gets 90 at once. If you don't already have my address, email me. Deadline to get them to Pennsylvania is March 8. Many thanks.

Thanks too for the increased commenting. I wish I didn't have to bribe you but I do love bringing people out of the woodwork! We're almost there!

21 comments:

Fee said...

Hey here I am commenting! I've only been reading your blog for, what, 6 months!!!!! Shame your Maggie was scammed, but go girl for that fear of men!! Have a lovely day!

Fee/ Somerset/ UK

dixiesamplar said...

Oh, that sounds like a wonderful idea! I would love to send Maggie a card.

BTW: I received the SANQ magazines Saturday morning...thank you so much; I had a blast reading through them and found quite a few designs I hope to stitch up one day :o)

Donna said...

Good for Maggie! Her instincts kicked in, one way or another. It's reprehensible that people will prey on others this way.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

I was really hoping to hear the wicked words Maggie said to the dope trying to outwit her! If she would have figured out from the beginning what he was doing, I'll bet her words for him would have been choice!

I would love to send Maggie cards again! Will check to see if I kept your addy. Probably not... I'm pitiful!

Mouse said...

heheheh I more often than not comment ... will try and get a card done for her 90th birthday methinks that really does deserve getting 90 of them :)
glad she didn't get scammed too :) love mouse xxxx

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Good for Maggie not giving out her information. 90 years old! She is right up there with Betty (White). You go, girls! I think I still have your address. I will send a card.

valerie said...

It burns me that people prey on the elderly. I'm glad Maggie hung up the phone! Good for her.

Deb said...

Whatever her reasons for hanging up on the man, it was a good one. But I find it so unfortunate how the older generation is preyed upon.

I'd love to send a card again. But I doubt I still have the address (I seriously need to get organized), so if you reply to comments, send me the address again and I'll be happy to send off a card.

doris said...

I guess there have always been slimy scammers, but it seems so much worse now. Sons o' bitches. Go, Maggie! Maybe this event has educated Maggie a little.

Anonymous said...

I would love to send her a card, my email address is marikanola@gmail.com ... please send me address etc!

Jennifer said...

I'm signing up for the Maggie Birthday Card Brigade. I'm pretty sure I have your address

Needle Nicely said...

Count me in on the birthday card (I don't have your address). And may you have many more than 10,000 comments in your future!
Mary Agnes

DebbieSFL said...

All of my grandparents are gone, so thanks for sharing Maggie with us...she is a hoot!!

jhm said...

I checked my puzzle - it's nearly the same but was made by Kodak. SO not quite the same.

JHM
http://needleworkerssamplings.blogspot.com/

The Queen Bee said...

Are we there yet?

Pam

Ginger said...

I am glad to hear that Maggie did not fall for the scam. I remember my grandmother being bullied into writing a check for "roof work" years ago. Sham on people that pry on the elderly!

I would be glad to send a card for Maggie's 90th. Drop me an email with the info if you like.

Heather said...

I'll happily send a card. I still have your address from last year.

Jodie said...

WOOOHOOOOO GO MAGGIE!!!!!

Scammers talked a friend of mine into the same thing but it had to do with her computer....needless to say, she fell for it and lost everything on her computer. Dicks!

Cindy said...

I would love to send you a card for Maggie. My mother in law turned 90 in December and we did a card a day for 90 days for her and even in a demented state she loved it. Please email your address to me at Cynthia.earnhardt@gmail.com. Hope you get 90. Cindy

Aussie Stitcher said...

Scammers are the scourge of society. I work in a bank and have to deal with the aftermath of their actions. Will do my best to get a card to you for Maggie, keep posting reminders on your blog LOL.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I've got your address, I sent a card last year but this year I've got time to stitch one!
I don't need bribing to comment. I need telling when to shut up hahahah