Tuesday, September 11, 2007

One Down

I finished my sil's ornament. I know I said I wanted to stitch Two Sheep for her, and I still do, it's just that I also wanted instant gratification on getting the pattern and was denied. I stitched this ornament from JCS Christmas Issue 2006 instead:

Sheep Ornament
Country Cottage Needleworks
25 count linen
Thread substitutions: blue Loose Thread for the Crescent Colours and WDW Blue Spruce for the green.

So Lelia asked if I got my JCS ornie issue yet. When I read that she had hers last Saturday, I hopped in the car at 4:00 and raced to my lns that closed at 5:00 (40 minutes away). I walked in and asked about the magazine. They didn't have it yet! How annoying. They seemed aggravated that I asked and was annoyed by their answer, but did allow me to reserve a copy. (The internet has really spoiled us, hasn't it?) They'll call me when it comes in. So now we're at 2 days later than they had it in Indiana, and I'm still magazine-less. The dude, of course, thought it was stupid that I didn't call and ask if they had it before we went. But I didn't waste a trip: I got Sleepy Hollow and one of the Cricket Collection Halloween ornament patterns--with the skull--and a few threads. I hope to pick up the mag next weekend, and I'll give a full review. (Though why you need the review when you have the magazine, I'm not sure...am I that insightful?)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I don't have the magazine yet and since are traveling tomorrow, probably won't have it before Thursday, if then. I'll read your review!

Besides, since I rarely like more than a couple of the designs, I wonder who the other designs are for. Well, some of them are overtly Christian, so I would never stitch them, but even some of the non-denominational ones are rather blah. I hope other people like them.

Barbara J said...

Lovely piece you've stitched. I have the 2006 issue but I've not stitched any from it :( Maybe it's about time I did :)

I'll read your review before I get a copy :)

mainely stitching said...

There are always enough designs in the magazine for me to justify it, though the increased postal rates sort of suck. Good luck getting your copy. I'll look forward to reading your review while I continue to waffle over whether or not to order it...

Anonymous said...

I am so over buying the mags, they are such a waste of money, and they cost about R100 each (about $15.00), so I would rather buy other things!!

I look forward to your opinion on this one!!

Mia said...

Anna, I know exactly where you went. I still won't go back there because of the one lousy skein of WDW I needed them to order for me. Long story which I won't go into here. Try Pathmark near us. That is where I got mine for the last 2 years. I will have to go search it out later this week.

Cathy said...

I didn't even know it was out yet. I was lucky enough to buy it at my supermarket last year, and I did take a look while I was in there. Maybe I should give the LNS a call.

Aussie Stitcher said...

Your little finish looks wonderful, and I am glad that the trip wasn't a total waste.

cathymk said...

It will be a while before it reaches us in Australia too. I'd like to read your thoughts on the ornie issue when you get it.

Melissa said...

Sleepy Hollow is one of my favorite new designs. I love the way it's finished on the front of the chart but then again I have a thing for the Headless Horseman.

The ornament looks great. I'm in a large ornament swap this year and really need to get to work on those.

Michelle said...

The ornament turned out great. I'm all for the instant gratification thing too. And I LOVE Sleepy Hollow, I am thinking I have to have it. Now. I don't have the magazine yet either, but always like to hear your review of the issues.

Lelia said...

Yes, your reviews are THE BEST, b/c you have such a humorous way with words [did I spell that correctly???]

Plus, I don't want to spoil the fun of going thru the pictures, patterns & etc. If I started to blather on and on about a particular project, you'd be pissed!!! Am I right about that?

Yeah, so, I must wait for the rest of the stitching community to snag their mag & then we can all get together and crown the winners, the so-so, the what-on-earth, and then -- see some creative stitcher make an ugly ornament look like a crown jewel ...

IMO - yes, you are insightful & a fun blog to read

As for EGA ... some stuff is ok, some is not. since they finally changed their definition, we may see some spectacular textiles in the future.

I like the stitchers in our local chapter. We are friends & like to get together for stitching, chatting, crabbing, and etc

PS Vonna [also in Indiana] had her magazine the Friday or Saturday before I had mine in hand.