Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Wrapping Up Birthday Party "Week"

My last two projects for Birthday Party Week.
First, a crazy balloon wreath. I'm not going to lie. There were a lot of times when I was making this wreath that it reminded me of nothing more than a sad clown. Then I started blowing a little air into the balloons before I pinned them on to the wreath form. It fixed their shape a little. Then I washed my hands halfway through and they were filthy and I couldn't believe I was putting the balloons in my mouth! The things I do for you and this blog...

Anyway, this is the brainchild of Shannon from Sew Sweet Cottage. She put a letter in the middle but I didn't want the wreath to be so specific to one person. I did look around for a birthday sign that I could add, but I couldn't find anything. (I could probably have made something, but I wanted to move this party along.) I kind of feel like if scrapbooking was now where it was two or three years ago even, I could have found something no problem.

The last project is a Sundae Bar. Bars are definitely the rage on Pinterest, and I think that's what made me decide it was a craft, as opposed to just entertaining. I do think that one of the things that makes bars work--a uniformity of presentation--does rely on craft. In my case, I decided to do a sort of chalkboard look with my labels. 

I used my favorite "font"--do you still call it a font if you are writing it?--I don't have a name for it but I put a little ball on the ends of letters. This helps you even out your letters if you, like me, have a tendency to write some letters smaller than others.

You can tell I went all Pinterest perfect when I covered the whipped cream can with grey paper. You can choose crushed (homemade!) cookies, toffee, sprinkles, berries, nuts, M&Ms, or maraschino cherries. Caramel or chocolate sauce. Whipped cream or not.

What are you having?

5 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

I want some of everything except the berries. Your balloon wreath looks interesting.

Linda said...

Clever ideas Nikki. I absolutely love the balloon wreath.

Linda

Julie said...

The balloon wreath looks amazing, what a fun idea.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

In households with children that wreath would last 0.5 seconds before one of them removed the balloons and ordered you to blow them up!
You could also make a great "Coming of Age" version using condoms! Although I would not recommend blowing them up...
Sorry for lowering the tone!

Beth said...

What fun! The balloon wreath is so bright and fun, and wow - you hit a homerun with your sundae bar.