Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Art of the Stitch

News stories about cross-stitch brought to me by my Google aggregator have been backing up in my inbox since I spent so long off the blog. I have so many stories to share, I'm going to have to break it up.

Classify these stories under cross-stitch makes its way into other art forms:
Murals: Ah, cross-stitch "a nod to old traditions." But the stairs have become art.

Tattoos: someone has aggregated cross-stitch style tattoos from Instagram. And there are some pretty good ones!

Concert Posters Featuring an illustrator who makes making cross-stitch designs harder than it has to be (dude, there's software!), who outsources the actual stitching (grr), and throw in a reference to the ancient ancientness of cross stitchers, this article isn't as happy-making as we might like. This is also the guy who did the 30-foot Star Wars panel (which I reported on earlier). And as usual, the reporter couldn't keep the old ladies out of it:
"The idea is that cross-stitching is a hobby usually carried out in the home for an ornament or in memory of a special occasions within family life, which Guestar hopes home concerts will become a part of. We’re not sure who younger than the age of 65 actually cross-stitches anymore, but we love the idea."
Old Lady Count: Eleventy-million? I think I officially lost count in 2010.

Thanks for your lovely comments on Christian's Stocking. I'm waiting for the beads to come in, which I hope is super soon! I've blinged-out two of the other stockings. I'm getting there!

4 comments:

xeyedmary said...

Hey there- long time no comment! The new Old Dominion album "Happy Endings", has cross stitched cover art, released about a month ago. I wanted to jump up and down to let everyone know, but I've ghosted from the blog-o-sphere, and doing most of my trolling in Instagram these days. I was tickled pink to see you reappear over the spring/summer!

Robin in Virginia said...

Guess the reporter is not looking in all the right places to find stitchers! The ladies in my stitch group would not look kindly on being called old ladies.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for the links, I've seen the tattoo pictures before but not the concert artwork. He does make it so much harder than it needs to be!

Astrids dragon said...

"We’re not sure who younger than the age of 65 actually cross-stitches anymore" ??? How rude! ;)