Friday, March 25, 2016

Friday Finishing: Flat Ornament with a Beaded Edge

In the October 2008 issue of Just Cross Stitch (the Halloween issue), Heather Holland-Daly from monsterbubbles contributed the cutest bat ornament with a beaded finish. The finish is so gorgeous, I've been meaning to stitch this. Then it occurred to me that I could finish a different ornament this way. And then I looked through my unfinished ornaments and I saw Joyeux Noel, a monsterbubbles design. And it clicked!

Monsterbubble's Joyeux Noel 
2007 JCO issue
Wichelt Tropical Green 
called for floss colors
Stitched June 2013

Only one problem. When I put together the flat finish, it wasn't totally flat. So I needed something to help me fudge a little. Like ribbon. I used Mona's directions for doing a beaded ribbon edging. But I used way more beads. It took forever to load up all the pins (63 of them!), but not nearly as much time to stick them into the ribbon and then into the ornament. But I love how this came out. 

12 comments:

Margaret said...

Hi Nikki, I am loving your daily blogs and today's is a really great idea. Even I might manage something like this;-)
Have a great weekend.

Laura said...

Absolutely gorgeous! What a great finish.

Linda said...

Gorgeous finish Nikki.

Linda

Beth W said...

It's so exuberant! Like fireworks of beads coming off it. But also looks like a lot of work and time and focus. Well done, you!

Magic by Mona said...

Excellent...I love what you are doing with your pieces. Glad to be of a "little" help.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I agree with Beth - exuberant is the word! There are a LOT of beads around that ornie. Very New Year's Eve with the fireworks displays.

doris said...

Very fancy finish!

Bea said...

Wow, that looks fantastic!

Unknown said...

Me too I will check out Mona's Directions, but it looks like it took a long time. But really makes a difference to the finish

Brigitte said...

Wow, that's a spectacular finishing idea!

Loretta said...

I love everything about this finish! The fabric and threads, the beads <3 (is there such a thing as too many beads? I don't think so.) Beautiful piece.

Kelly aka STITCHNMOMMA said...

Cute finish!