Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Pumpkins!

Adrienne of Martini Made e-mailed me to ask about pumpkin cross-stitch patterns: where could she find them, and what were my favorites

I'm sure I'm not revealing any industry secret when I direct you all to Hoffman Distributing's website. Hoffman is the world's "leading" cross-stitch pattern distributor. They don't have everything--most of the designers they carry are American, they don't carry all of the American designers, or even the whole of each designer's oeuvre. Still, they've got a lot of it. You can search their catalog three ways--by designer, by keyword, and by category.

I did a keyword on pumpkins, and came up with 254 designs. That does include punchneedle designs, and some where the pumpkin was really not central to the design. I started out to find all the cross-stitch patterns that featured a pumpkin, but found myself getting distracted. Even designs called things like “Just Pumpkins” weren’t just pumpkins. Then sometimes I just didn’t like the pattern, so I didn’t include it. And because, in another life, I should have been the official listmaker of the web, I present...

The Great Pumpkin List
(all of these can be viewed at the Hoffman website)
This list makes my small pumpkin patch, which includes just over 20 patterns, seem much more normal. I don't even own half of these patterns!

If you would like to own some of these patterns, and your LNS won't order them for you, Elegant Stitch has a shopping cart where you can shop Hoffman through them. (Elegant Stitch processes the orders, so it may take a little extra time.) They'll give you 20% off your order.

Also, I once stitched a Little River freebie "Harvest Moon" (very cute, companion piece to "Welcome to the Pumpkin Patch") which I cannot find anywhere! While I was looking, I did find a pumpkin freebie from Homespun Elegance.

Just to prove that Hoffman doesn't carry everything, these patterns are in my collection but not on the Hoffman site:
  • 4 My Boys Autumn Square
  • Heart's Content French Harvest
  • Hillside Samplings Jack O' Lantern (hardanger)
  • Historic Needlework Guild Seasonal Pins Two
  • Marilynn and Jackie's Collectibles Ribbon Pumpkin**
  • Sheepish Designs Scarry (sic) Wabbit
  • Threadbear Creations Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater
  • Twisted Threads Sweetie Peetie Pumpkin
  • Twisted Threads Itty Bitty Trio of Pumpkins (This is OOP. I did find it for sale online.)
  • Window Garden Designs Pumpkin Sampler
Go forth and stitch pumpkins, friends!

*A favorite of mine.

** Could not find in an online store.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

How appropriate! I am currently stitching Twisted Threads Pumpkin Trio. And I will probably be stitching more pumpkins for the next two months.

Thanks for the link to Bella Dia. I'm going to try the alphabet life myself. I'll see how long I keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Wow, all that work over a pumpkin, I do admire you!

xxx

mainely stitching said...

There's just something so pleasingly homey and perfect about a pumpikin, isn't there. :D

Cathy said...

Well, you spent some time on this, didn't you?

Michelle said...

You are definitely the Queen of Lists, and my go-to gal for anything I need to know, even if I didn't know I wanted to know it. I like the ribbon pumpkin - cute! I'll have to check some of these out.

Anonymous said...

I am speechless. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I bow before your mighty organizational prowess.

Aussie Stitcher said...

WOW so many pumpkin patterns.

Joanne