Saturday, August 18, 2007

Ordinary Me: O

O: O'Rooney I don't think we know anyone named O'Rooney, but in our family it's a term of affection. So Pops becomes "Daddy O'Rooney." Sissy, "Sissy O'Rooney." At least, I think that's how it's spelled. It could be more like Rice-a-roni--Mommyorooni. No, it's definitely Irish. Though we are not.



Joyce Carol Oates My dissertation sprung from an assignment I had to do on her work. Too bad it didn't spring fully formed from her head--in the time it took me to write my dissertation, she published like six novels, a few plays, some collection of essays, and probably some poetry. It all started when was doing a bibliography of her work, and I noticed that people thought her work wasn't feminist because it was violent. And so it was my research was undertaken. I was going to call it "Violent Femmes" but my director thought it was too cute.
Edited: Just in case you thought I was exaggerating about Oates's output, from the time I passed quals to the time I handed in an accepted dissertation, she wrote 13 novels and novellas, 5 collections of short stories, 1 book of poems, 2 collections of plays, 2 essay collections, and 2 children's books and edited 7 anthologies. Check it out.

No comments: