Tuesday, June 06, 2006

And Just Why Can't He Take Up Cross-stitch

I was reading Christianity Today, and I came across this article. What? What was I doing reading Christianity Today? Yeah, well, I blame google. Let's move on.

So, I'm reading this article, and I get to this: "My pursuits of cross-stitch, gardening, and reading didn't lend themselves to drawing us closer as a couple." Personally, I think it's the time I spend alone that does the most for drawing the dude and I "closer as a couple." Really, if I didn't spend my days doing things without him, what the fuck would we have left to talk about after all these years? I'm wondering what part of the wedding vows says you have to share a hobby? I can see pledging your love and fidelity, but your free time?

But then I thought, "Oh, right, that bitch Ruth":

Entreat me not to leave you, or to return from following after you, For where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. And where you die, I will die and there I will be buried. May the Lord do with me and more if anything but death parts you from me.

Since this is Old Testament, we have to remember those people of his aren't Christians. But I've never known a fundamentalist to let the facts get in the way of their interpretations of the Bible. (See, this is where having a PhD in literature comes in handy--it teaches you how to read all documents in context and critically.)

So we're, of course, left with the question why cross-stitch or gardening couldn't have been the hobby that "brought them closer together as a couple." Oh, right, because it's always the woman who has to adapt.

I think I'd better go home and crack open Subversive Stitch and redirect some of this energy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It also should be noted that in these oft-quoted verses Ruth is addressing her mother-in-law.

Lelia said...

LOL

You go girl : )