Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Mack Attack

I have completed the main stitching on Miss Mary Mack. I had to do the head and hair in full cross stitches. When you are making a circle (like the face), half stitches just don't work. Now I have to order the tin pin. I know the design will fit across, but I might need some more stitching to get it to fit properly vertically. I was thinking of using either some stitches from the border or putting some silver buttons on it. Teeny-tiny silver buttons. But first I need the tin pin.

I've started stitching on the subway. I have now stitched on every main mode of transportation (plane, train, automobile, bus, and subway). I had been reading Laura Thatcher Ulrich's book The Age of Homespun on my commute (full report when I finish), but I was getting nauseated, which is no way to begin your day. Yesterday, I decided to bring along an ornament to work on. It's not easy to stitch on the bus and subway; there's a lack of space, and trying to keep purses and bags on your lap while you move your arms is no picnic. I'm working on Brown House Studio's Folk Art Topiary from the Just Cross Stitch 2004. It's one of the many ornaments I plan to make for family Christmas presents.

On the subway, a guy was surprised to see me stitching. He marvelled at my ability while the train was "rocking so much." Honestly, the subway doesn't rock as much as commuter rail does (it's warmer underground). I told him that I stitched while driving across country. "You weren't driving?" he jokingly asked. People are so witty.

Nighttime stitching is back to the Souvenir Sampler. My deadline is March 31.

5 comments:

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Mary came out great. Can't wait to see her in the pin. Congrats,
CJ

Casa Pearl said...

Anna she looks fantastic! Congratulations on your finish - that was quick!

Carol said...

Love your MMM - congratulations!

cathymk said...

She's fabulous, Congratulations on your finish!

Donna said...

Ah. "The Age of Homespun." Thanks for reminding me that I still need to get that book. I had Ulrich as my humanities 401 teacher in college. I've got her "Good Wives" and "A Midwife's Tale." Off to search for a cheap copy - I'm not sure they exist...