Friday, March 04, 2016

Finishing Friday: Ornament

Finishing Fridays, not unique to me by any means, but I had to find some way of getting back to those fifteen or so finishing techniques I didn't get to show you last March.

This finish also fulfills a request made by the dude. As many of you know, he is a man who cans. When you use canning jars, the lids can only be used once. But it seems an awful waste just to throw them away. (We do use them for refrigerator pickles, and things that don't need to be processed.)

And so, I used the lids as a form--much better than trying to cut a perfect circle! You can use directions like these at Pinwheel Ponders to create such an ornament. I put the side of the lid that was concave on the inside, which accommodated some of the bulk of the fabric. I also stuck my hanger in when I glued the two halves together. When it was all dry, I applied the ribbon.

Vonna has directions for ruched ribbon. As does Susimac. And Mona from The Silver Needle (Magic by Mona). But I do the haphazard way espoused by the Shepherd's Bush sisters.

10 comments:

valerie said...

Cute finish and great way to use those canning lids!

Linda said...

Congrats on the pretty finish Nikki.

Linda

Daffycat said...

Clever you! Such a pretty finish and you're reusing a throw-away object to boot. Love it.

Angela said...

A wonderful finish.

Bea said...

Lovely finish and a great ornament.

KimM said...

Awesome friend not sh. Thanks for the link.
xxx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great way to recycle and a very nice ornie too.

Robin in Virginia said...

Congratulations on your ornament finish! What type of glue did you use on the metal piece? Enjoy your weekend!

doris said...

Great job! I may refer back to Pinwheel Ponders again, so thanks for that website. I love when you get crafty.

Brigitte said...

I should also reserve a day per week for finishing, sigh.
This is such a lovely way to finish a round ornament.