Friday, February 05, 2016

To Send or Not to Send

About a month ago, I read about textile artist Amy Meissner on Jen Funk Weber's blog. Go ahead, read about her work. I'll wait. (For those of you who have no time for interesting articles about textile artists, Amy recycles abandoned needlework, incorporating it into new, remarkable pieces.)

When I read about it, I immediately thought, "Frickin' Chicken." For those of you who haven't been introduced to Majestic Rooster it was published in Cross Stitch and Country Crafts in 19 dickety two. I chose to stitch it for my mother because it matched her dining room exactly. Before I was even close to finishing, my mother upped and redecorated her dining room. And then a few years after that, she moved out of the house all together.  

I started stitching in the middle and jumped around a lot, and in jumping screwed up. There is just a tiny bit of stitching left to do on this, but there is no way of knowing where I am on the pattern. I've tried to pick it up in the past but there's just no finding your way to making an x. I decided to send it in. I found it and went to iron it a little. 

That was the first time I really looked at it in a long time. I saw how little I had left to do*, and how amazing that green tail is. And I started to have second thoughts...On the one hand, yes I did all that work. On the other hand, this piece wouldn't really have a spot in my house, or my mother's, or even in the house she used to have. But then, it's thisclose to being complete. But it's a giant headache to stitch. If I let it go, it will go to good purpose. It will be rescued. I guess this is how my cousin feels when a foster dog goes to its new family.

And in thinking about this one, I've started to reconsider Watercolor Geraniums too.

What would you do?



*Even less than in this picture.

17 comments:

Beth said...

I can let go of long unfinished stuff done on aida, but cannot part with wips on linen.

Linda said...

They are both very pretty Nikki. I really don't know what I would do.

Linda

Teri said...

Enjoyed the link to the blog and article. As for your projects...send them in, or better yet start your own "repurposed" art project!

Margaret said...

Pass them on to Amy and bask in relflected glory! Unless you find you can't and then perhaps you should finish them. Hopefully I am well balanced on this fence of indecision:-)

Glenna said...

Keep them! Treasure them! Wing it (sorry) and finish frickety chicken the best you can, then give him outrageous sparkle: beads, kreinik, etc, then take him to michaels for an el cheapo framing and hang him proudly. He's an original. Hell, he's part of the family practically! The flowers are nice. Finish them and hang them in the bathroom.

Kristen said...

That chicken is magnificent! Not trying to make you feel bad. If you didn't have a use for the piece, it's just as well that you let it go. As for the floral piece, does it have a mistake in it too? Will picking it back up be frustrating or enjoyable? Hobby time is too precious to spend on frustrating projects.

(I would love to stitch that chicken. Do you still have the pattern?)

KimM said...

Loved the link to the interview with Amy M. Interesting. I have a pile of needlepoint pieces I've collected over the years. Was going to make Purses/bags, piece them together to make a big rug, pin cushions, pillows, mount as a flat fold, maybe feature one or two in a quilt...my mind could explode. Thank you for the post.
Oh! What to do with your pieces you're not crazy about? Maybe give them (and the pattern) to someone who likes the designs. I find it a true chore to work on a piece I don't enjoy. Life's too short. IMHO
xxx

The Queen Bee said...

It is certainly freeing to let pieces and patterns go. I recently cleaned out all manner of old patterns, supplies, and what-not and sent them off to someone who distributes them to various organizations. Phew. That felt good.

Possibly you could offer up the started projects plus their patterns to someone who might like to take a stab at finishing them before sending them to someone who might *cringe* cut them up?

I like your new stitching rotation.

Pam

Robin in Virginia said...

I like Pam's suggestion about offering them to another stitcher. Bottom line is you have to do what makes you happy.

doris said...

Why is it so damn painful for us to give up on something we'll probably never finish stitching? I can't seem to do it, but I sure have some doozies that Amy might use. They're mine, my mom's (harder to give up), and my grandma's, and they're just taking up space. They'll continue to take up space until I finish them or give them to someone like Amy. So tempting. Maybe we could encourage each other to make a move. What do you think?

Beth W said...

I don't think I could let it go without finishing. That would just haunt me. But then? Yeah, I'd gift it or give it to her to recycle into something else. But then, I'm weird in that I like to make things and then get rid of them anyway. ;)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I read Amy's blog and th project sounds fascinating. I think the rooster is a great chance for you to be involved with it. Create new art without even having to do anything more. Just pop it in the post.
Because it's not like you haven't got a thousand other things you'd rather stitch.

Bea said...

I'd send them. Work on pieces you enjoy. I know, easier said than done, but it's not like you're short on stitching you really want to do.

Brigitte said...

I'm not sure if I could send it away. I have thought a lot about what to do with my oldest UFO, a Chatelaine mandala, but haven't come to a conclusion. I can de-clutter a whole room and throw things away easily. But something I started stitching? Well, I don't know.

Unknown said...

In the words of Elsa and Konmari: Let It Go! Thank it for it's role in your life and let it go. You have other projects that need your attention now. It is not bringing joy to your life.

Margaret said...

I have to say I'd hate to send that rooster off. It's so pretty. But that's me -- I'm a pack rat. :D Too bad you can't send it to this artist and ask if she can make something for you out of it.

Anna van Schurman said...

Kristen, you can't leave a comment like that if I have no way of getting in touch with you. My email is in my profile.