Friday, November 20, 2015

Farm Share Friday: Fall is Squash Season

My friend Nicole is loving the farm share selfies which is totally keeping this goofiness alive.

The farm share told me that this is either a buttercup squash, a kikuza squash, or a Thelma Sanders squash. I needed to do some googling. I was kind of hoping for the Thelma Sanders squash because...what do you have to do to end up with squash named for you? (Well, probably just cross-breed it, right?) (It's an heirloom acorn squash, but I'm still not sure who Thelma Sanders is.) You can't tell but it doesn't have a pointy bottom like an acorn squash. And it's the wrong color for a buttercup.

That leaves us with the kikuza. (Although it does look like a miniature French Cinderella pumpkin.) Kikuza is a Japanese heirloom squash. The information I've been able to find about this squash indicates that it is nutty and sweet and dry. Some reports that it's also "spicy." It's good for baking and roasting.

I've found a few recipes for this. Pie, which you might expect, muffins, but I think what we'll try with this one is this savory roasted dish--pumpkin, roasted hazelnuts, and feta salad. (I know it says pumpkin, but trust me it was the kikuza search that got me there.) I'm running off to go stamping, so I'll have to tell you more about it later.

4 comments:

Bea said...

I'm loving you Farm Share Fridays! Squash is a favourite vegetable of mine so I am thoroughly enjoying hearing about new ones and being able to see new recipes.

Monica said...

Maybe it could be a sampler with a squash border and "stitch wrought by Thelma Sanders 1889"....Keep us posted how it cooks up.

Needle Nicely said...

Being a patty-pan and crook neck squash afficiando--say what??? As a Southerner, my mantra is "If it ain't fried, it ain't food." Need I say more?

Anonymous said...

Ohh, a squash mystery! How exciting!! I love squash. :)