Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Finish: Jar Topper

When we were clearing out my parents' house, we found a bunch of small stitched pieces. My mother thinks I stitched them, and I say she must have because I have no recollection of doing them. It is, of course, possible that I did. No matter where these little pieces came from they need to be finished! These mushrooms seem like they will be happy on top of a mason jar.

Here's how: 
  • Vonna's pincushion finish.
  • If you are using a mason jar with a two piece lid (like me) instead of one (like Vonna) Amy Sinibaldi shows you how on ehow. (I used this one.)
  • The Seasoned Homemaker has a useful tutorial as well.

And there are literally hundreds of things you can put in the jar to give as gifts:


I went with a sewing kit that was filled with the seventies--avocado, orange, and harvest gold threads and flosses. Because seriously, they are bringing mushrooms back into home decor from the seventies. (Trust me people, I was there!)

14 comments:

Needle Nicely said...

Amazingly, they are coming back! Go figure!

Beth said...

And owls as decor decorations - I remember that the first time around too. Is this the time to mention my mother's couch is STILL gold?

Hazel said...

That is very cute and have to confess I am a big mushroom fan. Lovely post with lovely links. Thank you! X

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Cute little tin. You could keep dried mushrooms in there too.

KimM said...

Great ideas - and cute mushrooms.
xxx

Annie said...

I remember we used to see a lot of this type of finish. Cute way to use up that neglected little piece. Thanks for the ton of links.

Cole said...

All of these finishes are inspiring! I'm excited to see what you're going to show us next. Thanks for all of the info!

Michele said...

cute cute cute finish .. love mushrooms :)

Linda said...

Cute design and finish Nikki.

Linda

Margaret said...

Oooooh!!! I think I know where some mason jars are. For that someday project. Thanks for all the links. Love the finish!

Thoeria said...

Another great idea Nikki!

Casa Pearl said...

Thanks for all the links provided and congrats on a really cute finish. These would make good coworker gifts.

Pamela said...

Great ideas for small stitching projects and for things to put in jars.

Unknown said...

Mushroom cookies could fill this cute little jar, too. Nice finish.