Friday, October 24, 2014

Nikki and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I've been waiting to hear about a work thing, which is getting pushed off until Monday. And the drop dead, out-the-door day is Wednesday. But that got worked out after some hyperventilating.

And then I got a text from the dude to call the dog's daycare about an "incident." Our angel Stella apparently had a scuffle with another dog. Started by her. The other dog had a wound, but didn't need stitches. Apparently not for the first time, though this was the first time I heard about it. "My bad," said the daycare operator. My bad? These are things you need to know about your dog! They're not sure what they are going to do about it yet. The dude and I will be reassessing this situation.

And then I found out that another one of my library ladies died. She was the lace knitter who had had a stroke. Three in one year! So I was sitting in my office trying not to cry because one wall is entirely made of glass. Everything was sucking. Though thinking about Linda, I remembered how she loved the idea of yarnbombing and on many occasions we discussed wrapping parts of the library entrance. Now, I--or some version of we (meaning my ladies)--will have to do it in her memory.

And then I got an email saying that my colleague is leaving. He had wanted to tell me but I was having such a horrible day, he couldn't. Honestly I was in such a state people thought it was a good idea to hug me! And I let them.

I'm going to disappear down a wine bottle now.

22 comments:

Monica said...

Hugs to you! Last Saturday was like that for me! Hang in there kiddo!

Beth said...

I am sorry. It really was a horrible day. Please though do not move to Australia!

Melody said...

Sorry your day was such crap. Hope you are feeling better. :)

Linda said...

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad day Nikki. Hang in there, it can only get better.

Linda

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a terrible day! At least the three things have happened so you don;t have to sit waiting for the last one.

Yarn bombing is an amazing idea. I think you should go for it.

Margaret said...

So bad that you let people hug you - I like that phrase and will purloin it for my own vocabulary! But seriously, I hope your days from now on get better and better.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Sorry for your awful day... Laugh as you drive by the yarn wrapped fence, and know that Linda is smiling, too. Hope all works out well with Stella... she's getting frisky :-) You'll have a new coworker to learn, and great memories of the one who moved on.

Margaret said...

Oh what a bad day you had. :( So sorry. Hope you've had a better day since.

riona said...

"Honestly I was in such a state people thought it was a good idea to hug me! And I let them."

These are very telling sentences. As one who avoids public hugging whenever possible in a way too touchy-feely world, I can gauge the pain and I offer my sincerest sympathies.

riona said...

"Honestly I was in such a state people thought it was a good idea to hug me! And I let them."

These are very telling sentences. As one who avoids public hugging whenever possible in a way too touchy-feely world, I can gauge the pain and I offer my sincerest sympathies.

riona said...

"Honestly I was in such a state people thought it was a good idea to hug me! And I let them."

These are very telling sentences. As one who avoids public hugging whenever possible in a way too touchy-feely world, I can gauge the pain and I offer my sincerest sympathies.

riona said...

"Honestly I was in such a state people thought it was a good idea to hug me! And I let them."

These are very telling sentences. As one who avoids public hugging whenever possible in a way too touchy-feely world, I can gauge the pain and I offer my sincerest sympathies.

riona said...

"Honestly I was in such a state people thought it was a good idea to hug me! And I let them."

These are very telling sentences. As one who avoids public hugging whenever possible in a way too touchy-feely world, I can gauge the pain and I offer my sincerest sympathies.

stitcherw said...

It does sound like a terrible day, {[hugs}}. I'm so sorry for you on the loss of your friend. Doing a yarn bomb in her memory sounds like a perfect tribute. Loved your earlier post of the spider glasses, they were great!!!!
Sue

Nina said...

Here's another cyber hug for you. Days like that are no fun at all.
Definitely do the yarn bombing. And post the pictures!
Nina

Stitchinowl said...

Oh Nikki, I am sure you were glad when the day finally ended. I am sorry for the loss of your dear buddy from the library group. You have become quite close with those ladies. Give an extra hug to Stella...it's tough to go to doggie daycare :)
Carolyn

Thoeria said...

Awww Nikki.....I do hope this week will go a lot better!

Coral said...

That day sucked!

I hope you are feeling a lot better emotionally.

Doncha hate it when people say ""My bad""? That is trivialising their responsibility.

I'm very sorry about the loss of Linda.

I hope the work situation has worked itself out as well.

Love and (allowed) hugs! Xxxx

Alice said...

I'm sorry about your no good day. It's especially hard to lose friends. And Stella! What was she thinking? Hope a new week brings a new start and improvement.

valerie said...

Oh no! So sorry! I hope that the weekend made up for the bad day/week. :)

Cole said...

Oh I hope the weekend was better! So sorry to hear about your friend.

Kate said...

Sorry to hear about your lousy day, Nikki, and I sincerely hope this week is going better. The great thing about dogs is that even when they're being little stinkers, they are great for hugging.