Sunday, November 27, 2011

Craft Book Meme

Ah, Sunday. Book Meme night. I feel like I'm running out of them, so I decided to make my own. It's definitely not going to spread like wildfire through the book reading world. I'm not even sure it's going to spread in the crafting world. If you play along, please leave a note in the comments.

Favorite craft book you own: Cardmakers' Sketch Book (Fox)
Favorite classic craft book: Linen Stitches (Thompson)
The best craft book you read in the last year: Free Range Knitter (Pearl-McPhee). I think that may be the only one I read this year! There were some passages that I did mark to talk to you about...even though I haven't gotten to that yet.
A craft book from which you’ve made more than three projects: I've used Better Homes and Gardens Cross-stitcher's Big Book of Alphabets and Borders on more than three projects, even though I haven't stitched any of their projects in their entirety. Sometimes you just need a good alphabet. (I think I looked at every book I own, but I've made only one or two projects out of most. Others serve as inspiration.) 
Your favorite craft book writer/designer: Christiane Dahlbeck
Favorite book of your favorite writer: Fadenspiel (Floss Play)
Favorite project(s) from your favorite book(s): This one.
Your favorite craft book series* I've only read a few (Monica Ferris, Friday Knitting Club, Blossom Street, Knit One Kill Two) but I've stuck with Monica Ferris.

Favorite book of your favorite series Crewel Yule

Favorite Craft Novel: (That's in there if you don't answer the above question with fiction.)
A craft book you used to love but don’t anymore: Aileene's Christmas Craft Quickies. I used this a lot to make many Christmas gifts but it had aged. I just gave it to the library's book sale.
A craft book that changed your opinion about something: New Crewel (Shaughnessy). I think this book shows some of the possibilities of crewel. Many kits that are available are very traditional. I think it can be hard to imagine different ways of using a method if all that's available is the same old same old.
A craft book that’s been on your shelves the longest: Leisure Arts, Spirit of Christmas, Volume 1. There's a really good recipe for brunch eggs. (Oh, don't let me fool you; I've kept the whole series.)
A craft book that reminds you of something specific in your life: Two Hour Cross Stitch reminds me of when I taught in Poland. I had brought this book along and the students made all different kinds of projects from it. Such sweet kids.
The most recent addition to your shelves: One Yard Wonders (Yaker and Hoskins).
Favorite cookbook I don't have a lot of fancy pants cookbooks. I cook every day, and my copy of Rachael Ray's 365 No Repeats gets a lot of use. When I'm looking for a "how to," I almost always turn to Fanny Farmer (as my mother did). I know I extol the praises of the Cake Mix Doctor regularly. I think if I did away with all my other cookbooks and kept these three, I'd be set!
Book you wish you used more: Organizing Your Craft Space (Packham). Enough said.
Book on your Christmas list: Betz White's Sewing Green.




*Note: if you decide to play along, you could pick from a how to series like Leisure Arts Spirit of Christmas or those little Vogue Knitting on the Go books.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I enjoyed reading this. I used to collect the Spirit of Christmas books. There are some good recipes in there.