Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How About Another Challenge?

Two years ago, I hosted a stitching challenge. I directed you to a freebie, and you all chose fabric and colors and stitched it up and went head to head with your sister stitchers. How about we do it again? This time, the game's a little different.

Remember last summer when Barb and Alma gave us the design Sweet Home Alabama? They based their design on The Workbasket's freebie "Pink Flower" (which is why the flower doesn't show up on their chart).

Here's your challenge: starting from Workbasket's Pink Flower, create your own souvenir sampler of a place you love or have visited recently.

Don't think you're artsy enough? Stitch the Blackbird version (pdf) using your own colorway.

Don't have enough time? Just do Pink Flower. Again, choose your own colors.

Obviously we will have three categories of competition this year. Unlike our last challenge, the finished-finished will go toe-to-toe against the stitched-but-not-finished projects. And unlike our last challenge, I'll provide small prizes to the winners in each category. How about a $10 gift certificate to each winner, as voted by loyal readers?


If you didn't play last time, here are the rules: You stitch up your version and send a photo to me. Don't post it to your blog*, we want to keep these anonymous! I'll post the versions here and everyone will vote. Due September 15. That gives you a few months.


*If you don't blog, you can still play!

17 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

You are a wicked enabler! You know we can't resist a challenge, count me in too.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I want to play. I am in the mood for a challenge. This sounds like a lot of fun.

The Queen Bee said...

It was that September due date that sucked me in.....I can't claim I'm too bogged down with my 15 January Challenge pieces if I have over 5 months to stitch this little lovely.

Pam

Anonymous said...

I'm in, I'm not usually creative so at least I have a few months to figure it out.
Great challenge idea!

Deborah said...

I didn't do your last challenge, so I would love to do this one. Count me in.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like fun! Thank you for organizing.

dd

barbara said...

Oh this sounds SO FUN! I won't let the deadline slip by me this time!

imnverted said...

This sounds fun! Count me in please :)

Mary said...

I;m thinking I'll give this a shot this year - I do love that pink flower! Anyway - a great excuse to avoid those 15 WIPs (oh wait, I did finish 3 or 4 of them...all that's left is the big stuff).

Thanks for getting it going again.

Mary in MN

Joy said...

Sounds like fun...count me in!

Edgar said...

What a super idea - count me in.

Gillie said...

Yes please - I was very sad when bbd published the freebie but without the flower - so glad it's now available! britstitch at gmail dot com

stitchinpeanut said...

Count me in!!!
I am excited!!
Just found out my daughter is having a baby Girl!!! I wannna try to stitch this to mark our lil Abbigail!

Mouse said...

ooo have been enabled by you all and Gillie again ....count me in too please if that's ok :)
love mouse xxxx
www.talesofastitchingmouse.blogspot.com

Caroline said...

I'm in too - this will make a cute Christmas present for my little niece. Great freebie, and good idea!

Jenna said...

Can we submit for multiple categories? I haven't actually visited anywhere interesting recently (San Francisco hardly counts as a visit), so designing one might be difficult. I could always go with a place I love, I guess. Hmm... guess I should get the creative juices flowing a bit.

Jenna said...

Okay, I have a new question for you (and you never answered my previous one). What if I decide to go with a completely custom design? Maine doesn't have a state flower, so I can't really use the Pink Flower. How much of a problem is that?