Monday, September 21, 2015

Papadelphia Papalooza

So this guy from Argentina who lives in Italy now is coming to Philadelphia for a couple of days. We live about nine miles from where he will be speaking, but let me tell you the Papal Fever is widespread!

These shots are from a recent trip to the grocery store. Not even my local grocery store--this one is a few more miles west of where the Pope will be. If you only click on one picture, click on the black t-shirt. I don't know what they were thinking giving Papa Francisco red eyes, but he looks like the devil, which, you guys, this is like the best pope ever. How could they do that to him?



"Enjoying" a person is such a loaded phrase, you know? Why not, "He's the real thing?" If you're going to violate trademark...

The dude doesn't have to work on Friday since the entire city will be under seige closed. His transportation pass doesn't work until Monday morning...and even then the barricades in the city are scheduled to be taken down by 10 AM. I don't know about you, but not a lot of businesses start their workday at 10. Looks like the dude might! Blessedly, I live and work in an area that should be entirely unaffected. Fingers crossed. (If that man wants to eat at Applebee's, then I'll be in trouble.)

But he won't. There has been craziness in these weeks leading up to the pontiff's visit. Local news programs have been asking local chefs what they would prepare for him. (Seriously, check out Feeding Francis.)

The Franklin Institute has the fever.
The PMA can show you their Christian works.
The Free Library wants you to learn about world religions.
The Rosenbach will tell you about Catholics in the New World.
The Constitution Center wants to remind you what Religious Liberty means (and jeez, we could use a healthy dose of that in this country right now.)
Even my library doesn't want you to miss a Popin' thing! (They also have a larger display of books about Francis.)







This little shop is located in my town and they have got it all--bobble heads, umbrellas, Vatican flags, books, prayer cards, tasteful t-shirts. Granted the Pope will be staying a mere four miles away. He could practically walk to my house! Probably will.

If you don't hear from me for a while, I've been swallowed whole by the Papal visit.

7 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Send up the flares if that happens! I definitely agree with you on the healthy dose of religious liberty. Have a fabulous week!

Robin in Virginia

Unknown said...

Yep, he's disrupting things here in DC this week, too. They're not closing much down, but they're encouraging everyone to telework. I haven't seen the merchandizing here, but I haven't been out and about either.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Any excuse to make a dollar out of religion! Talk about merchants trading in the temple. I wonder what the Pope thinks of it all? Does this one have a Pope Mobile to drive around in? We are quite unaffected by this Pope-mania. Henry VIII saw to that.

Beth said...

There'should an air of theater about the visit!

cathymk said...

I rather like the Pope Fiction pun (assuming that is what it was - maybe there are more books out there about fictional popes than I knew of).

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I would love to be able to see the Pope in real life, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with the upheaval or the merchandizing. I can't imagine who would want all that crap? I'm a faithful Catholic and I wouldn't want a t-shirt or Pope Francis beanie Baby or anything else... But for my eyes to alight on him in person.. I'd have to admit, that would be truly thrilling for me. So much so, thinking about brings tears to my eyes.

Margaret said...

I think all the craziness over Pope Francis' visit is fun! lol! I've been following the craziness in NYC too. DH stayed home from the city today (he's sick), which I have a feeling is a good thing! Love seeing the souvenirs. Red eyes -- lolol!