Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Winter Farm Share

Tonight's delivery of our winter farm share included red bok choy*, and it reminded me that one of my 93 blog post ideas is "share a recipe the kids love." Since I don't have kids and I don't think you'd love the same kind of thing Stella loves (like the frozen burrito she unearthed on the sidewalk from under 40 inches of snow last winter), I thought I'd ask the dude what I made that he was always happy to eat. He said, "that noodle-y soup." This is the one he meant.

Spicy Shrimp and Bok Choy Noodle Bowl
Rachael Ray, with my notes

3 T vegetable oil (or, you know, enough)
2 t crushed red pepper (usually I'm a spice slinger, but I always measure this because this is exactly the right amount)
4 cloves garlic (or just two)
two inches ginger root**, peeled and cut into matchsticks (grated on fine setting, no peeling)
1/2 lb shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 medium bok choy, trimmed and cut into 3 ince pieces then cut in sticks lengthwise (or just sliced)
quart of chicken broth
1 bottle clam juice
1.5 lbs shrimp (I just go with 1 lb and cut them in half before cooking)
1/2 lb vermicelli (I use these fresh noodles, and I wouldn't use anything else)
4 scallions (again, she goes all crazy with the slicing directions, just cut them)

Heat a medium soup pot over medium high heat. Add oil and the next five ingredients (through bok choy), stir. Add broth and juice. Cover, and bring to a boil. Once the soup boils, add the shrimp and noodles. Cook for three minutes. Add the scallions, cook for two minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes.

I'd say, "even the dude will eat it," but he eats everything...except polenta and couscous.

* Let's hope the red bok choy doesn't turn the soup dishwater grey like the red mustard greens did to that poor "greens and beans" soup I made last week.
** You're storing it in the freezer, right? Because it makes this step easier

3 comments:

Margaret said...

I love those noodles you use! Those are the ones I use too. Recently though, our grocery hasn't had them in stock. Sigh. I'll have to try this recipe. Thanks!

Christine said...

It sounds delicious but the chances of finding bottled clam juice around here are pretty damn remote!

Beth W said...

That sounds delicious! I'm a fan of stir frying bok chou, or using it as a sub for cabbage in anything, but as soon as I can have shrimp, garlic, mushrooms, clams and ginger again I'll have to try this. Thanks!