Monday, July 14, 2014

More Sad News

Dear Friends, we have lost another old lady from library stitching. My liberal friend whose cancer returned lost her battle on Friday.

She brought in her broken toy for diagnosis. She reunited the Dos Passos USA Trilogy volumes at the library book sale and gave Louise Erdrich and Michael Doris a good home. She would tell the funniest self-deprecating stories. And she was definitely one of the women who taught me about dealing with the nemesis:
no one is unkind to her (surprisingly) and they let her dish out her "advice" (it's not really advice when you are telling people how they should do things as if you were the only one who knows the absolutely correct approach to all things), sometimes even going so far as soliciting her ideas. Really, I'm simply amazed. I think the other ladies are teaching me valuable lessons in friendship. 
I'll never forget when the nemesis was going on about the Obama birth certificate (seriously), my friend had the most amazing way of derailing the conversation with good grace and good humor. (I think she said something about a tinfoil hat, but that may be my imagination.)

I am privileged to have known her. When I was told she had been moved to hospice, I got off my ass (for once!) and wrote to her. I am so glad I did. I hope she will rest in peace.

20 comments:

Alice said...

So sorry to hear this. She was obviously a good person. Such people are never in such abundance that they will not be missed.

Karen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. She sounds like quite a lady.

Margaret said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's passing. She sounds like a special person for sure. I know you will miss her.

Cole said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, she sounds like a gem and someone I would have loved to know.

Nina said...

So sorry for your loss. Thank you letting us know and I'll send a prayer your way.

Kerri said...

So sorry about your loss. I hope your friendship gave her comfort and it sounds like she made a lasting impact on you. What we all hope to achieve.

Linda said...

Sorry for the loss of your friend Nikki.

Linda

Cindy's Stitching said...

sorry to hear the news. Its hard losing anyone.

Catherine said...

So sorry, Nikki...

Susan said...

So sorry, Nikki.

Beth said...

She sounds like a wonderful person who walked the walk.

Stitchinowl said...

I am so sorry to hear of your friend's passing. She sounds like she was a class act.
Carolyn

riona said...

So many different people enrich our lives: family, friends and acquaintances. It is lovely that you appreciated her and had a chance to write to her before her death.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, and happy that you have good memories and praise for her.

valerie said...

So sorry Nikki. I'm glad you have good, funny memories of your friend.

Melody said...

I am sorry to read about the loss of your friend. It is a good thing to have fond memories of her.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

A valued friend, with lasting memories and impacts made on life....that is truly what anyone hopes for in life. My deepest, most heartfelt sympathy. May she rest in peace!

Sheryl said...

Sorry to read of your sad news.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Nikki. It sounds like she was a gem of a gal and I'm she she counted herself blessed to have know you, as well.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

So sorry to hear about your friend. I did enjoy re-reading the old posts about her, she sounds lovely.

I am pleased that you were able to write to her one last time, that must have meant alot.