Monday, January 14, 2013

Something Something and the Something Something Something

This is the ornament I started on Friday. I chose it just before I headed out for Old Lady Stitching. I grabbed a piece of fabric labeled "La Broderie". Why was it labeled, you ask? At one time, I went through a bunch of my fabrics looking for ornament size cuts. I then matched them up with patterns from the Just Cross-Stitch Ornament Issues. And then promptly stopped stitching ornaments. Anyway, I figured it would be pretty easy to pick out La Broderie's ornament for a new start. But...the two La Broderie ornaments I found were...not something I want to stitch these days. Tastes change, for sure. I started flipping through looking for something I did still want to stitch that would work with the piece of fabric that I was holding in my hand. This is Bent Creek's Starry Wreath found in the 1999 ornament issue.

The magazine is growing little green post-it notes out the top from where I marked the patterns "To Be Stitched." I think I am going to have to go through it and cull some of these, because there were a lot I thought "why did I want to stitch this?" There were also one or two that made me wonder why I hadn't marked them. So I'm not ready to part with these magazines just yet.

I didn't get as far as I would have liked--I had to go to a birthday party. A hula hoop birthday party! (Yes, for an adult.) She hired a hula hoop instructor (really) and dang if that woman didn't get me hooping. Growing up, I was the smart one, and my sister was the athletic one*. So it's true, I never could get the hula hoop going. But now I'm addicted. Seriously I'm investing in a hula hoop and a Skip It (which women of my age will recognize as a Lemon Twist). I'm going to make exercise fun!

*You know how you're labeled as a kid. Longtime readers will be unsurprised that I wasn't the coordinated one. But it turns out we're both pretty smart and pretty. (One of my cousins was The Pretty One.)

7 comments:

xeyedmary said...

Nice start- I think I'll do a Plan B and go thru my JCS ornament issues- mine are marked the same way.
I was never coordinated enough to Hula Hoop either! (Nor even a cartwheel!) I loved my Skip-It (by Whammo!)I'm not sure about the name "Lemon Twist"- maybe the name was regional? But did you guys do Chinese jumprope at recess? It was kind of like cat's cradle for your feet. Like cat's cradle, it had a progression of manuevers. I never could complete the last one!

Beth said...

...and what about the Slinky. I loved to play with my Slinky.

Margaret said...

Your post brought a smile to my face as I remembered a well meaning old lady telling me "your sister is really pretty but you have lots of intelligence". I'm sure you can understand my chagrin as prettiness is more important than intelligence at age 8! Scarred for life I am LOL.

Kathy A. said...

So I'm not the only one with a magazine full of sticky notes

Annemarie said...

Yay for Bent Creek ornies. You made a good choice. Somehow I can't picture you a-hula hooping, but whatever floats your boat :o)

Linda said...

Love the ornament Nikki. I use to do the hula hoop. Now I don't think it would go around me.

Linda

Arthemise said...

I loved my Lemon Twist!