Monday, November 21, 2011

Maggie Monday: Recovery Edition

Today I got a note from Maggie, and she thanked by name each one of my "blog friends" who sent her a card. She really does appreciate it. 


She's not been going out since she got home. She hasn't had a craving for a martini, so she's not going out to eat as much. (She used to go out to eat every day, each place on schedule.) The idea of going out and not having a drink is anathema apparently. She lives down the road from the senior center but "that place is for old people." Her only real hobby was reading, but after she lost her eye, she finds it too difficult. She doesn't like audiobooks. She worked her whole life, often more than one job, so she just never developed hobbies and doesn't like bingo or bowling or other things old people can do. I'm a little worried, frankly.


A little note from my aunt, 
Took Ma to Tracy's to get her head shaved. Then it was off to Roland's for liver and onions.  She was too pooped for a movie*, so I took her home. She's having trouble getting her strength back. She didn't have much to start with. Tracy told her the more she did, the faster it would come back. She just may listen to her 'cause she is not me. While I was at her place, I sneakily replaced her silverware caddy with a service for four. She had lost most of her utensils and had recently bought two forks at the dollar store. What is it with these old people? Do they think that they won't be around much longer so why bother to use utensils?


If you are a nurse or physical therapist, or just someone who is not my aunt, and you feel so moved, could you writer her a note?


*Movies are her hobby, but she doesn't have a DVD player and we're not sure she could work one. Maybe I could get her a Roku and take care of it remotely? Is the Roku easier to learn? Hmmm...

4 comments:

valerie said...

I'm glad that Maggie is feeling better. I have no idea what it is about old people not wanting to buy necessities. I told my mom I am buying her new tupperware because I can't stand the ones she has and she always goes no, no no...

As for the Roku...it's super easy. The hook up was annoying but operating it is easy so should be ok provided you can teach her how to use the Roku remote. You can load her netflix queue for her.

Casa Pearl said...

I'd be happy to send a note. I will email you.

Jennifer said...

Restaurants on a schedule? Maggie was Sheldon Cooper before there was a Sheldon Cooper.

Also, I'd be happy to send her a note / Christmas card. Are we allowed to mention the Maggie stories?

Aussie Stitcher said...

I am glad that Maggie enjoyed the cards. I hope that she regains her strength soon so that she can get back to her restaurant schedule.