Monday, May 24, 2010

Welcome!

At Friday's library craft circle, I was displaced as the youngest member. A lovely young woman came and brought her even younger and lovelier baby (8 months). She was the happiest baby ever. Seriously, we passed her around and she was smiling and laughing and loving every minute of it! Mom was trying to knit while wearing the baby, and it wasn't going so well. Our oldest member, Mabel, who I mistakenly clocked at 86--she's 93--told me that she loved holding babies so I offered to take the baby while mom knit. (I know. I offered? That is whackadoo.) She was totally cool with it, and I think bordering on Very Excited. However, you may not know this but when really old people hold babies, you have to watch them. Mabel might be a great grandmother, but at one point that kid was horizontal on her lap and sliding quietly towards the floor. Fortunately someone else wanted to hold her, the baby was transferred, and we could all breath a little easier. Next week, she's coming in a stroller but I'm guessing that she won't be in it much.

I worked on the Vegas piece, which I need to take into Strawberry Sampler by the end of the week (sale ends Saturday). As you can see, I finally woke up and smelled the petite treasure braid. (Um, sorry, bad mixed metaphor.) I am slowly replacing the orange DMC with something a little more sparkly. Because you can't have too much sparkle when it comes to Vegas. Fortunately have completed that large expanse of white, and just need to fill in the cirlces that hold the letters, stitch the "star" in the upper left corner, and add white beads for the lights on the edges of the sign.

The dude and I had a very busy weekend. First we worked at the library's book sale. We brought home about 12 books for $10. I can't wait for the fall book sale because that is supposed to be the big one! On the way to the library, we ran into our neighbor who was running a car show at the high school. After our library shift, we stopped and looked at the cars even though I have no idea what I am looking at. We chose our people's choice based on the hood ornaments. I did appreciate seeing that cars that were built the year I was born are "antiques." I am given to understand there is a different standard applied to cars. Then my younger niece got dropped off so mom could go see the Bosox. She "helped" with Stella. We went to the dog park but had to leave early because there were a lot of big dogs who were getting a little aggressive. Yayo was disappointed because she didn't get to see a "Dane." Unfortunately, my skills to make animals appear on demand are limited, and that is hard to explain to this little girl.

Sunday dawned drizzly, so my cousin didn't take her intended bike trip. This meant that we could hit the Greek fair for lunch at noon. I had tiropita and a gyro (the bread was to die for). The dude had lamb kokkinisto and my cousin had pastitsio. (I always hated when my mother made that.) For dessert, I got kourabiedes and baklava. The baklava was so buttery. Mmmmmmm. I had to buy a second piece, but I shall try to savor it over the course of the week, instead of the course of 4 minutes.

7 comments:

Alice said...

Wow what a great weekend. I am very jealous about the baklava!

Jenna said...

Gyro and baklava. A girl after my own heart. Yummo! I actually found a place around here that makes a decent gyro to substitute for the greek Deli near the university that recently closed after 35 years in business.

So, what is up with you holding a baby? LOL. That's as strange as me holding one of my neighbor's very young twin boys a couple of weeks ago. I'm always so nervous about handling tiny living beings. I'm afraid I'll do something wrong and hurt them. I'm starting to get past that with my dogs, at least.

The Vegas piece is coming along nicely. The expanse of white is probably the most daunting part and you're almost done. Think you'll make the finish line in time to get it to TSS on Saturday? Molly and Beth are both supposed to be there on Saturday, so I'm jealous. But I got to meet and work with Nancy, who was just lovely in her own right.

mainely stitching said...

LOL @ antique cars. Nicky has started asking, "Where you alive when ..." questions. Age is a relative concept. ;)

Your Vegas piece is looking so cool. My Dad used to love going to Vegas on business once a year and still has lots of stories about those particular good ol' days.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Well, you have had one busy and productive week! Dad's Vegas stitch is looking great (I'm still chuckling over my first interpretation of what you were doing this for - what an idiot I am).....

Mmmmmm..... baklava!

Christina said...

Ha! Your post made me laugh out loud! When my daughter was a few days old, my husband's great aunt Peggy (no children of her own...) decided that she wanted to hold her and take her on a walk around the garden. I've never been more petrified in my life! Needless to say they both survived but years were taken off my life!

Anonymous said...

How fun! I want a stitch group. Does anybody know of one in OKC?

dd

Michelle said...

I love your Las Vegas piece. Mmm, gyros and baklava. So good!