Monday, November 03, 2008

Monday Night Football

I've got nothing. The dude and I are watching MNF and he asked why the NFL hasn't licensed cross-stitch patterns, given how they market the shit out of the brand.

Fortunately, a little problem like licensing doesn't stop people:
  • On ecrater, you can find 2 Rams, 2 Packers, a Steelers, Oregon Ducks and 5 USC patterns
  • Stitched By Design also offers NFL and NCAAF logo patterns
  • There's also an old AFC Helmets chart. (This was probably licensed as it is professionally printed. If you have qualms about that kind of thing.) Oilers! Denver without the bronco! The Mean Patriot in a three point stance!
  • The worst of the 80s: cutesified NFL teams
  • ebay seems to be the place to get a lot of these things
  • For the Raiders fans, be careful--Al Davis is rather litigious
  • And the big Why? A Browns pattern. Wrong on so many levels.

So there you have it. The NFL is losing out, but the fans win.

Special thanks to the dude who came up with the concept and helped execute this play. I'd say he matriculated all the way down the field.

4 comments:

Donna said...

We routinely have this discussion at the shop about licensing fees for professional sports organizations. We've come to the conclusion that it is rather short-sighted on the part of the leagues/owners. But isn't likely to change. Oh well. Some of us design our Red Sox or Phillies things just for ourselves.

Cathy said...

Regarding the comment about Chase's speech, I thought it was f**king hilarious! Seriously, though, I didn't mind it. There was a woman sitting in my mom's section who left saying, "They have to ruin everything!" I thought it was in reference to the faux pas he committed during the All Star game, sort of an inside joke. It stinks that they didn't have time to bleep it, but that's life.

Real Live Woman said...

I'm embarrassed to admit I had a set of Huddles sheets as a kid. Hey, there weren't a lot of options for a girl who liked football!

As for the Browns helmet, I can only guess that the creator isn't that artistic and choose the one NFL helmet without a logo on it.

Jennifer said...

Believe me, if Jerry Jones thinks there's money to be made from it, there will be a Dallas Cowboys pattern at some point. In the meantime, I just content myself to using a lot of blue and silver/grey for my choices, and the occasional pattern I stumble across.