Sunday, March 30, 2008

#30: Home Alone

I made a giant list of things to do while the dude was gone. I haven't done very many of them. But these are things I do when the dude leaves me home alone...
  1. Stay up way too late. I don't know why I can't make myself go to bed. When I'm gone, he doesn't go to bed either. When we're both here, we manage to go to bed within half an hour of our bedtime.
  2. Eat badly. Saturday night was different because we did "Sunday dinner" at the hibachi place. But Friday night? Bag of popcorn and two diet cokes. And things didn't go well tonight either: pasta, butter, cheese.
  3. Clean instead of doing things on my list. I don't know what gets into me. I hate cleaning. I think it's because when I am home alone, I'm the only one responsible for mess. When the dude's here, I just resent the fact that I have to pick up after him (it's sort of irrational, because he does help).
  4. Spend too much money. I went to Target for bras, sunglasses, and soap. Let's just say a lot of things jumped into the basket. Then I went to Lowe's and bought a sucking leaf mulcher. (Cousin's husband thinks I should return it because he has one that we can have.) And there were two trips to Joann's (mostly because different stuff was on sale on Saturday and Sunday).
  5. Watch too much crap tv.
  6. Enjoy the quiet. There is something wonderful about being in charge of the computer, the remote, the time you eat, the things you eat, the time you go to bed...all the comings and goings. Only one more day...

5 comments:

Kendra said...

Sounds like what I would do if I ever had a few days alone, especially #6. A home with a 1 yo and a 5 yo, plus 1 permanent dog and 1 temporary dog...well, it's just not quiet here very often. I would love to have just one day where I could sleep as late as I wanted and do whatever I wanted for the whole day...ALL ALONE.

My mom and Granma tell me that silence will come all too soon and to enjoy the chaos while it's around. I can understand their POV, but at the same time, I still would enjoy one Me Day where I don't have to worry about taking care of anyone but myself!

mainely stitching said...

I'm so with you on number one. Niek has out-of-the-house stuff two nights a week, and I stay up absurdly late and feel like crap the next day - and blame him for it! How's that for irrational? LOL!

Anonymous said...

I second #1, #2 ... well, never mind, all of them. Particularly #1. Sometimes it will be 6 am and I'm still up. I blame the books.

Anonymous said...

You know, sometimes you just need that time to yourself. I'm glad that you tried to structure your time, at least a little bit. That helps.

Michelle said...

I agree - I am cursed by cleaning or doing things not on my "I have to get this done while he's gone" list. Mmm popcorn - a vice of mine while he's gone too!