Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Where Things Turn Out Well ...in the End

My first draft for this post began, "Never marry a foreigner." Generally, I think it may be good advice, but because I would prefer to stay married (right now anyway) I deleted that little rant about an ungrateful spouse and buying Christmas presents for people I hardly know. Today, I pulled up my socks and hiked over to Borders. Amazon didn't have the book I was looking for for my BIL. I found it there--after quite a search in the sports section. Then I decided to buy my FIL an Images of America book on Gettysburg. And even though he doesn't deserve it, I bought the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving for the dude who made onion chutney for gifts this year (orange and lime marmalades last year). While I was reading Martini Made, I found the perfect solution for my nephew whose mother still hasn't sent me a list. (English people don't make Christmas lists, donchyaknow.) I am crossing my fingers that it arrives before we take off. It's going to be close, so watch this space. (I bought Cariboo, for the little boy who at the last visit was into pirates.) And I decided not to make any presents, except for the cards I made tonight (see below) and the felted wool eyeglass case for my MIL, the sweetest angel who somehow raised a real prick of a son. (Okay, most of the time he is a really great guy.) And I might not finish my Christmas cards because I think I am putting too much pressure on myself when I am going to be gone for a whole week while trying to get ready for Christmas.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

If marriage were easy, there would be no divorce. Anyone who says they never dislike their spouse at times, is lying! A spouse's unreasonableness is directly proportional to the percentage of relatives in the argument equation.

The cards are lovely. You have done enough. Go to England and have a lovely time.

mainely stitching said...

LOL @ marrying a foreigner. I'm pretty sure both Niek and I have had moments of thinking something along the same lines. ;) Fortunately, they're just fleeting moments!

Your cards are GREAT and the gifts you mentioned are, too!

Anonymous said...

Love the cards!

Anonymous said...

Cariboo is the one I got for my niblets as well. Great mind, etc.

And I have never loved and hated anyone as much as I have loved and hated my spouse, if that makes sense. He's not even foreign. Unless you count "guy" as a nationality. WHich I do, sometimes.

(yes, I love the kids. It's a different dynamic.)

You have done enough. Fly to England and enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Half-foreign can be equally bad.

I love Kathryn's "A spouse's unreasonableness is directly proportional to the percentage of relatives in the argument equation." It just needs a multiplying factor if it involves the spouse's parent. :-)

mercy said...

Your cards look great! I don't have a husband *but* have been with my BF for 8 years (same as married if you ask me) and one minute I'm madly in love with him and the next he makes me want to push him off the steepest sidewalk I can find! Enjoy your trip :-)

Michelle said...

The cards are gorgeous, as usual - you have a real talent for them. I could never make cards that look so beautiful! I think you're doing well with the Christmas gifting and yes, do take deep breaths. They are all ungrateful some time. Let me know if you need anything.

Susan said...

Drop everything from your list that doesn't *have* to be done, and see how much better you feel! Even the best of men have their less wonderful moments. =)